OpenOffice 3.0 freezing in Terminal Services

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
yorktech

OpenOffice 3.0 freezing in Terminal Services

Post by yorktech »

Hello all,

We're having issues where Open Office 3.0 is freezing up within terminal services running on a windows machine. The rest of the server stays running, it's only Open Office that freezes. I've installed prior versions of Open Office in this manner, and have had little to no difficulty.

This most frequently happens in impress, but writer and calc have caused issues as well.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having difficulties and what they've done to get around it. I've tried using the information provided for prior versions of open office, but this hasn't seemed to help.

Any ideas for a direction or an "oh, you most likely forgot to do this" would be appreciated.

Thanks
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + MS Windows Terminal Server '03
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Open Office 3.0 freezing in Terminal Services

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the community!

Apparently nobody else seems to have encountered that.
I am not using OOo in Terminal Services, so I may be of limited help...

Are the problems related to certain documents (either a special file, or very large ones)? Can it be reproduced with certain files?
Also, when freezing occurs, in what state are the soffice.bin & soffice.exe processes (CPU usage, memory usage)?
What if multiple documents are opened - are all instances freezed?

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
timdevries

Post by timdevries »

Good Day.

We are running OpenOffice 3.0 ( dutch ) also on a terminal server running 2008 std.
We have exactly the same freezing problems !

Any body any idea how to fix this ?

When running Microsoft Office on the same configuration with no problems.....
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows Other + 2008 server
hanheeze

Post by hanheeze »

Hello,

We have 11 users running terminal server sessions on windows 2003. 9 users have double logings because the run on dual screens a RDP session. So in total I have about 20 sessions open. The choice was go to Office 2007 of use Open Office. By using OO we had to adapt a few excel macro's which will run now much better then they did. We are very statisfied.

What we experienced is that running on Dual screens you must disable the Open Office autoloader and prevent running it.

Second when you start open office on 1 screen al the other sessoins automaticly go back the the first screen started.

When your screens lock up close the active document or abort it and you wil see that everything comes alive.

So what is very strange is that when you login in at a terminal server whtih the same user name more than once
al you session go back to the first screen in which you started Open Office. It does not lock up........

Neverteless I have about the same problem and looking for a solution.

regards

Han Holtslag
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows Other
kjamesb

Post by kjamesb »

I've been experiencing the same issue. Open Office 3 / Win2k3 Standard.

I've noticed that one process will hang and the users will keep clicking (as users will) and by the time they call me they have 5-10 open office processes running but all appearantly being held up by the one that has hung. Once I end task on the one that's hung the other open right up.

I have tried removing the Open office Autoloader as suggested above. We'll see what that does when my users get here in the AM. Will report back when I know more about that fix.
kjamesb

Post by kjamesb »

Uh, yeah...that had no effect.
kejs

Post by kejs »

I am currently thinking about implementing oo on TS 2008.
Anyone solved this by any chance ?
If not, does Open Office 2.4. work without freezing on ts?
OOo 2.3.X on openSuse 10 + windows srv 2008
pberardis

Post by pberardis »

All,
We are having the same lock-up issue using OOS 3.0 under Win2k3 Terminal Services. When trying to use Open Office, the CPU utilization goes from under 10% to between 50 and 100% and there is one or more soffice.bin instances running in task manager each using about 50MB of memory, but Open Office never starts. We can reproduce this issue with multiple users experiencing the same thing. Any other thoughts than what have been posted?
Thanks,
Paul B.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu 8.10