[Solved] OpenOffice3.0 doesn't start on XP

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
franzmaximilian

[Solved] OpenOffice3.0 doesn't start on XP

Post by franzmaximilian »

Please be aware that I'm not much expert about Windows as I'm usually a Linux user.
On a XP based laptop I use for businees I was running OO 2.4.1 without any problem.
Today I downloaded OO 3.0 and installed. It all went smoothly, without any alarm or warning.
After completion of install, I clicked on the new OO icon on desktop and i was prompted to fill in my name.
That's all.
Nothing else happens. Clicking the icon is worthless, nothing starts.
If I go into C:/Programs/OpenOffice.org 3/program and click on any of the .exe files such as scalc.exe or swrite.exe or soffice.exe NOTHING HAPPENS. Not even an error message.

what the...f ! It even cancelled my working 2.4.1 version which is not there anymore!

Please give advice!!!!!!
Last edited by franzmaximilian on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice3.0 doesn't start on XP

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: Can't run OOo after finishing registration wizard?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
franzmaximilian

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice3.0 doesn't start on XP

Post by franzmaximilian »

Thanks Hagar, it is now solved.
And OOo 3 looks really nice and possibly faster than 2.4.1
Nevertheless... having to work on Win after years of Linux is a real nightmare......
And i can't understand how the presence of an old dir can affect the functionality of a newly installed software.
There must be a bad bug somewhere, because i selcted to delete previous 2.4.1 during installation of 3.0 and it obviously failed (without warning) to delete something that could even prevent the program to run!!!!
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice3.0 doesn't start on XP

Post by Hagar Delest »

In the welcome wizard, have you transfered your personal data? The 3.0 process is not that good for the former profile import.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10