[Solved] 1935: Install error "policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT"

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
BjornR

[Solved] 1935: Install error "policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT"

Post by BjornR »

NOTE: This problem has been solved. Scroll through the pages to read possible solutions or go directly to page 3 to see what solution worked for me.

This error number has been reported multiple times on the forum but none of the threads seem to provide a good answer.
Difference between this topic and others: File in description & type

I had OpenOffice.org v2.3 installed and i wanted to install v3.0.0 over it.
As usual i selected 'delete older versions'. The installation failed and as a consequence i don't have any versions of OO.org installed.
... i need it.

First things first, the software:
Antivirus: ESET NOD32
Firewall: none
Windows defender: always disabled
UAC: always disabled
Old OO.org version: v2.3 NL
New OO.org version: v3.0.0 NL
Rights: I'm the only user, i have full admin rights.

Error 1935: An error has occured during the installation of the component policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",version="9.0.21022.8",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32-policy".
fout.png
Setup options:
- Install only for current user
- only install 3 applications (Calc, Impress, Writer)
- don't install some extras

After which the setup reverts the changes made and notifies the user of the failed setup.
revert.png
failedsetup.png
I searched this forum, the oo.org forum, bugtracker, Google,... and the file seems to be part of the Ms .NET
Link to bugtracker (posted by someone else): http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=94450
Then i downloaded several .NET fixes/upgrades but they were already installed or incompatible with Vista.

Conclusion: Most likely Microsoft's fault, probably something unneccesairy in Windows Vista.

No OpenOffice.org...
exemissing.png
exemissing.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 89302 times
---
If you need more information to solve this, PM, mail, IM me.
I'd like this to be fixed.

** EDIT: Active services: http://www2.bjornroesbeke.be/OOorg/services.png (PNG, 140kB, 455 x 2637px)
services.png
** EDIT @ 01/03/2009: Changed topic title: added "[SOLVED]", changed icon to a green check and added a big "solved" message to the first post.
Last edited by BjornR on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: 1935: Install error "policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT"

Post by Hagar Delest »

Even that one: [Solved] Error 1935 on Vista?

Have you tried to install the whole suite?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BjornR

Post by BjornR »

Install whole suite: Same error.
Rename mscoree.dll: Permission denied
Install in safe mode: Not allowed to run msiexec.exe

EDIT: Video: http://www2.bjornroesbeke.be/OOorg/video/video.html
Last edited by BjornR on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Are you sure you have enough rights to install OOo? At least you haven't enough to rename the dll.
BjornR

Post by BjornR »

I am the only user of this system, i know all passwords, in the control panel i'm "administrator".

I've never experienced any problems with installations before, not even with OpenOffice.org. (v2.3)

EDIT: Seems like only "TrustedInstaller" has full rights... Let's force it to allow me.
*question-to-self* Why doesn't Vista come with functions such as CHMOD and CHOWN ?
BjornR

Post by BjornR »

*no doublepost, is update/bump*
Changed rights, renamed, retried, failed.

*UPDATE* Installing v2.x versions works perfectly.
aaronb532

Post by aaronb532 »

Wow, I was just about to start writing up a long detailed post about this error 1935 and all the solutions that didn't work for me. Looks like you saved me the effort!
Hagar de l'Est wrote:Even that one: [Solved] Error 1935 on Vista?
Anyway, I did try that solution, including renaming the mscoree.dll file, to no effect. The description to that error is different then the one BjornR and I are getting.

There are at least three of us now (counting lynnleef from http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... hilit=1935) that are having this problem. I too hope we can get something working! For now, I'll try an older version since it worked for BjornR, and also use the portable version from http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable

BjornR, if you do find a solution please post it here for the rest of us suffering this problem.
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you try with the en-US version and then install the NL language pack? As 3.0 can run in parallel with 2.4.1, you won't wreck the current install.

NB: even if the screenshots and video are in Dutch, thanks for the quality of them, it does help. The problem seems to be with registering something on the system, OOo seems to be rather completely installed before the error occurs.

Are you sure there is absolutely no anti-virus or firewall running (even the standard one from Windows) there is an eset process in your list? An issue had been opened recently: Issue 94450 - Error 1935 on installaion of OO 3.0 RC2.
BjornR

Post by BjornR »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:NB: even if the screenshots and video are in Dutch, thanks for the quality of them, it does help.
Reload them, some have translations added to them.
No thanks, thank you for helping me.

I'll try the suggested options later.
flardoen

Post by flardoen »

Here's an easy tool : http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/do ... p_tool.zip
Worked for me.

Regards

Eric
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Linux Ubuntu
BjornR

Post by BjornR »

The given tool removes registry entries and deletes files.
It's a last resort but other apps still run properly so i'm not yet going to use it.

EDIT:
The EN-US setup also fails to install v3.0.0.
deniel77n

Post by deniel77n »

Hello, I am a french user and I have exactly the same problem and I don't find any solution.
The only good news I have is that the installation back to OOo 2.4.1 is possible without any problem.
I have Windows Vista Home Premium on a Packard Bell laptop.
I hope somebody could provide the solution soon.
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista + ubuntu
northshields1947

Post by northshields1947 »

I had exactly the same problem and error messages and could not find any solution. However, subsequently, for other reasons, I did a clean reinstall of windows vista from a recovery partition on my HP laptop, and OpenOffice v3 installed immediately. It seems, therefore, that the problem was caused by some software on my computer, but I have no idea what.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Maybe the information on the Windows Installer Error Messages list can help?

Do you have the current version of MSI running? It should be distributed via Microsoft Update. You may also want to check KB Article 893803.
You could also try to run the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up utility which is available in KB Article 290301.
Finally, you could try to run a registry cleaning utility like CCleaner. From my experience, it works very reliably at a minimum risk.

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
karif

Post by karif »

just a couple of questions... i have also encountered an Error 1935 when trying to install OpenOffice3 on my Vista Home Premium OS. I have tried the suggested solutions found in this thread: ie turning off firewall and antivirus (no luck on the renaming of the 'mscoree.dll). i tried downloading another copy of the file at a mirror site (i have a broadband connection and thought that perhaps my problem was a corrupted file). all to no avail! i am wondering if anyone has had the same problem when installing from a disc instead of downloading the software from a site? would this make any difference when installing onto the same lame OS (Vista)??? also, as the error 1935 message appears at the end of an installation, i also get a popup message from the OS that "Windows Modules Installer has stopped working; please close the program". i didn't see any reference to this in other posts so i'm curious about this as well. any ideas would be greatly appreciated (as i have appreciated the earlier suggestions herein!)
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
BjornR

Post by BjornR »

karif wrote:i am wondering if anyone has had the same problem when installing from a disc instead of downloading the software from a site? would this make any difference when installing onto the same lame OS (Vista)?
It doesn't. You can calculate the MD5 checksum to be sure the setup isn't corrupt.
karif wrote:as the error 1935 message appears at the end of an installation, i also get a popup message from the OS that "Windows Modules Installer has stopped working; please close the program".
That confirms Microsoft is the cause of all problems.

I still use 2.4 and i haven't found a solution yet for installing 3.0.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi Karif and welcome to the community!

Did you also try the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up utility and CCleaner as suggested in my thread above?

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

try some of the ideas in this link http://katana.oooninja.com/w/openoffice ... leshooting.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
aaronb532

Post by aaronb532 »

Like northshields1947, I just did a system recovery and took it back to factory default condition. After that OO 3.0 installed just fine.
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
resturp

Post by resturp »

Yet another solution. I had the same problem and followed these instructions: http://www.vistabits.nl/probleemoplossi ... errors.htm
Yes I had a pending.xml file in my sxs dir and after I removed it and installed the windoes update software the install went smoothly.

Hope this helps some of you.
casteele

Post by casteele »

Hi everyone,

I _had_ the same problem, but after two days of troubleshooting and headaches, I resolved it.. here's how:

First, this may only apply to certain situations.. 1) Windows Vista Home Premium, 2) You have had one or more Windows' updates that _failed_ to install (that is, Windows' Update no longer seems to work, and/or you are unable to install other Windows files, such as the VC9 files)

The problem appears to be similar to the "pending.xml" issue, but it's in the registry instead of a flag file: one or more updates failed to install, and left the installer in a broken state.

First, fix the installer state by running the fix in this Microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414 - When I open Windows Update in Control Panel, I receive an error code of 8000FFFF.
Second, make sure your system is up to date by running Windows' Update and installing all important and critical patches.
Third, I manually installed the VC9 redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en - Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) (I am not sure the URL for 64-bit versions. Search Microsoft for it?) and the .NET 3.5 update (I don't have the URL handy anymore, sorry..) You may not really need to do this step, but I did not try it without.
Finally, install OO 3.0.

Of course, this may or may not work for everyone, and I am still not entirely sure of the exact situation for which this fix applies. But the "fix" on the Microsoft website is at least smart enough not to run if the fix doesn't apply to your system (It will say so then exit.)

Good luck!
Cas
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Debian Linux
BjornR

Post by BjornR »

PROBLEM SOLVED !

Many, MANY (.msi) apps failed to install components and MANY displayed this type of error.
Stressed as i was, the solution was simple and pretty straight-forward.

Have a look at the services list i uploaded in the first post.
Scroll to "Windows Modules Installer".
It's disabled. In order to install OOorg and many other apps it needs to be set to "start manually".
rjcau

Re: [Solved] 1935: Install error "policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT"

Post by rjcau »

I am sorry to say that Bjorn's Solution is not a universal one. My Windows Modules Installer is always set to "Manual" and it fails to allow OO to install. Starting the Installer up through Services also fails. Like many others my Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit Version. I have NET 2.0 which many seem to think is the problem - but I am reluctant to uninstall it as I do not know what other of my Programs may be affected by doing this. For me the search for a solution goes on.
OPEN OFFICE 3.1 ON WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT VERSION
nopaclani

Re: [Solved] 1935: Install error "policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.

Post by nopaclani »

Thank man! That really have solved for me this issue with programs install thanks again i thought I will have to format pc again
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04