Blank Reports from Sun Report Builder

Discuss the database features
jwolter

Blank Reports from Sun Report Builder

Post by jwolter »

I'm running OO 2.4 and the new Sun Report Builder 1.0.3. I can't swear to it, but it appears that about the time I downloaded the new Report Builder, all my reports based on that tool started coming out completely blank. The Writer window opens, but the report never generates. I saw the comment in the release announcement about needing OO 3.0 to embed charts in reports, but I'm not doing that. Is anyone else having this issue?
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Blank Reports from Sun Report Builder

Post by DrewJensen »

One thing that I have noticed is that the new release is less tolerant of malformed queries...used to be you would get a blank report now you get an error...( yes I was going to upate your other topic post with this info ).

Other then that the reports I have run with 1.0.3 under OO.o 2.4 seem to run fine...I haven't had any problems with blank reports.

Do you still have a copy of SRB 1.0.2 to go back and test with - if not - you can get older releases from the extensions site. On the extension page click on "view all releases"
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

I have same results -- blank reports after installing report builder upgrade to 1.03 on OOorg 2.4. I have many reports and all are now blank (with no error messages appearing), except one report which still looks fine. All worked fine with 1.02. Can't see any obvious differences between blank and non-blank reports or their queries (yet) other than perhaps that the one that still works is a fairly simple query using a SELECT * command instead of explicitly selecting the fields I want. I'll post if I can find an explanation for why that one still works.

-David H-M
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

By any chance is the database ( or can it be made so ) and any of reports that come up blank such that they could be passed to the QA group as an attachment to a bug report?
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Not easily with my database, but if I can repeat the problem with a simpler case I'll share it.
jwolter

Post by jwolter »

Same here. I'll start playing with things and report my findings.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Great I'll try to do the same - as soon as there is something to show the problem one of us can open an issue in the bug tracking system.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Any chance you guys are running against dBase files?

See Issue 89620

If not, which back end are you using?
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

I'm using the built-in hsqldb.

I do have a lot of relatively long, complex queries with calculated fields using hsqldb functions, so your theory of it being due to a problem interpreting the query could be it. The one report that still works for me references a query that does not have any calculated fields (it's pretty simple itself). But still, that query does reference another query (i.e. it's nested) so it's going to take more study before I can isolate what is funamentally different between that one report and all the others.

FYI going back to 1.0.2 does restore all the reports, so that is an effective short-term fix.

-David
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

OK - I'll pass this along to the developer...

Also FWIW, it appears that ( at least for the dBase grouping problem ) moving to the OO.o 3.0 beta fixes the problem too, but not a good solution for production work.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Version 1.0.4 of the Report Builder, which fixes the problem, has been released to QA. Should be up for download in the next day or three...
WoodGuy

Post by WoodGuy »

Hello,

It looks like the Reports fail when the grouping and sorting option is used. I have around 20 reports that I use for my work and the only ones that have failed are those that have sorting and grouping.

Also, the new extension has not fixed the "insert date" issue. Will this be fixed on the next release?

I am usin XP and Open Office 2.4 with Sun Report Builder 1.0.3 if this matters.

I love OpenOffice and Base but I wish some of these bugs that hinder product performance can be fixed.

Thanks
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Upgrading to 3.0 Beta does restore all of my reports (which use the built-in hsqldb). 3.0 did not work properly when 2.4 was still installed, but after removing 2.4 and installing the Sun Report Builder 1.0.3 extension, all the reports are back.

Also looks maybe like a prior bug with positive currency formats displaying as negative has reappeared in 3.0 with 1.0.3. All my currency fields are showing up as negatives in the reports.

-David
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

hmmm - I'll check that then...
Tallybunny

Post by Tallybunny »

I am running OOo 2.4 on a Win XP machine. I am experiencing the same problems with blank pages being produced with the SRB v1.0.3 and latest JRE 1.0.6_06.
This problem was not existing with the SRB v1.0.2. Unfortunately a downgrade to this version is now also producing blank reports.
I also upgraded to SRB v1.0.4 and this is also not working, same problem occuring.

As indicated by other posters, the problem arrises when sorting/grouping is performed on the report. Removal of any sorting/grouping generates a normal report of the query.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Yes and the release of SRB 1.0.4 did nothing to correct the problem - the developer and few users have been passing files back and forth for the last few hours trying to run this down - it does not affect all Operating Systems - Suse for instance seems to work fine, while Windows XP and Ubuntu are whacked.

It seems he may have found the problem..a few of us are just waiting on a drop form him at the moment for tests on the problem plaftforms.. I'll post back after that happens.
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Hi Drew,

For my Base app (on Vista Business), v1.0.4 still produces blank reports on OO 2.4 if the report uses sorting or grouping. However, with 1.0.4 on OO 3.0 beta (running on XP), the same Base app DOES produce sorted and grouped reports again. The currency format still displays as negative. So in my case it could be an operating system difference (XP vs Vista) or it could be an OO version difference (2.4 vs 3.0 beta).

-David
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

it's more likely 2.4 vs 3.0...

so far nothing new to test so don't know if it will be today at all that they have something new available for 2.4.
vicramz

Post by vicramz »

I am having the same problem with blank reports. When I run a simple list of records from a query as a report, I get my data. If, however, I run sorting and grouping in the report, I get blank pages. Same query, same report, just sorting/grouping activated.
Plus, when I tried to remove the group header, I was unable to do so, and had to delete the report and start over.
Could the fact that I also sorted when defining the query have anything to do with this?
I'm using Oo 2.3, and SRB 1.0.3 on a Windows XP platform.
The last post to this thread was 5/29, and seemed like people were working on the problem feverishly. Any news?
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

They still are - only thing to tell you is to revert to Report Builder 1.0.2 ( it is available on the extensions site, just list all releases if you don't still have the extension binary on your machine ). You will need to REMOVE the 1.0.3 version of the extension before you can install the older 1.0.2.
vicramz

Post by vicramz »

Thanks for the advice.
For what it's worth, I downloaded the newest Oo patch, 2.4, update 10, and then the latest SRB extension, 1.0.4, and it still didn't work. That was a surprise, since the Sun site product description for SRB 1.0.4 says "The creation of reports with grouping is working again."
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Yeah, well....Can't believe everything you read apparently..
vicramz

Post by vicramz »

Drew . . .

Won't believe this, but upon removing SRB 1.0.4 and replacing it with 1.0.2, I still get blank pages on grouped reports.

Do you want to see my database? It's only 190 KB, and has a working (no groups) report, and a not-working (grouped) report.

If so, how do I send it to you?
vicramz

Post by vicramz »

Drew . . .

Success! Casting about the forum, I found a recommendation to close Ooo and the Quickstarter, then reopen the file.
After doing so, my grouped report worked as you had suggested it would.

Thanks for your help.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

OK - there was still a problem with SRB 1.0.4 and OO.o 2.4.1 - it is related to how the reports are created and it is a bug.

The developer released a replacement sun-report-builer.jar file today for testing - it appears to clear up all problems related to the blank reports on my XP installation or OO.o 2.4.1

If anyone else is still having problems wit blank reports and you want to give this 'un-official, not supported' jar file a test send me email via the board here and I'll send the file and instructions for how to install it.
eCubeH

Post by eCubeH »

I am on a dual boot WinVista / Fedora 9, using 1.0.4 Sun Report Builder on OpenOffice Base 2.4.
Presently on the Windows side.
Having the same problem with blank reports on grouping.
Report shows data when grouping is removed.

I also tried closing the Ooo and the quickstarter, following advice from one of the last postings prior to mine.
But when I restart Base, the quickstarter also starts up. And of course the report continues to be blank.

1. How can I disable the quickstarter?
2. Can you link me to the patch that fixes this?

Thanks much
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista + Linux Fedora 9, Win XP
Uncle Ernie

Post by Uncle Ernie »

Using Sun Report Builder 1.0.4, I get a blank report if the report is based on a query and also uses grouping. No problem with grouping when a table is used.

A work around is to replace the query by a view, which uses an identical SQL statement.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Calmhey

Post by Calmhey »

I have exactly the same problem using an Apple IMAC. Reports that work fine on the PC are blank on the IMAC. The only exception is reports that are based on one file and not linked files using SQL are displayed properly.

Everything else is the same.

David Warren

P.S. herbs.odb shows this and can be downloaded from www.calmhey.com
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Well, the Beta version of SRB 1.0.5 is now available and it should clean the problems up...

For those wanting to try the beta you can find it at
ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org ... 5-beta.oxt
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Yes, SRB 1.05 beta fixes the blank reports problem for my Base app (hsqldb) on OO 2.41 -David