.data file not updating

Discuss the database features
lewishollow

.data file not updating

Post by lewishollow »

Database - HSQL - driver - org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver. I'm actually not positive on the HSQLDB version.

OpenOffice.org version 3.3.0 (updating screwed up some formatting, so until I have time to update for compatibility, I'm not updating)

URL - hsqldb:file:/[path]default_schema=true;shutdown=true;hsqldb.default_table_type=cached;get_column_name=false

I am running in file mode, so I have the odb file itself, and then I have .backup, .data, .properties and .script files. When accessing data, a .log file is added. It used to add a .lck file as well, but I noticed that isn't happening anymore. Maybe a clue? Anyway - the software runs in a retail store, and sometimes I need to access the data remotely to fix something or whatever, so I have all of these files sync to dropbox. In the past, all I have had to do is have whomever is at the store close the odb file, and all of the files would update, and I would be able to open the odb file on my end after the files had synced, and I would be able to see all of the updates up to that point. Now, though, after the software is closed at the store, the log file is removed, and the .backup file updates (usually the scipt and properties too), but the data file remains unchanged. After syncing to dropbox opening the database from another location shows old data, but opening the same files on the store computer show up to date data.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7 H
DACM
Volunteer

Re: .data file not updating

Post by DACM »

file mode (single-user, production database, managed remotely through Dropbox)...

Okay, so Base is controlling the HSQLDB engine's startup/shutdown as directed by the file-mode data-source URL. I'm not exactly sure by your description, but it could be that some thread of OpenOffice is still running at one location or the other. Base fails to shutdown HSQLDB in file-mode in some circumstances (unknown; random bug) which seems to be related to running the Quickstarter taskbar-app.

In any case, when file-mode shutdown issues crop-up:
(1) disable Quickstarter with production databases.
(2) try rebooting the computers at both locations.
(3) Recheck the 'data-source URL' at both locations for the correct path to the database files.
(4) Further troubleshooting might include checking the .properties file for modified=yes, after database updates have occurred but before database shutdown (with data in the .log file).
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
lewishollow

Post by lewishollow »

DACM wrote:file mode (single-user, production database, managed remotely through Dropbox)...

Okay, so Base is controlling the HSQLDB engine's startup/shutdown as directed by the file-mode data-source URL. I'm not exactly sure by your description, but it could be that some thread of OpenOffice is still running at one location or the other. Base fails to shutdown HSQLDB in file-mode in some circumstances (unknown; random bug) which seems to be related to running the Quickstarter taskbar-app.

In any case, when file-mode shutdown issues crop-up:
(1) disable Quickstarter with production databases.
(2) try rebooting the computers at both locations.
(3) Recheck the 'data-source URL' at both locations for the correct path to the database files.
(4) Further troubleshooting might include checking the .properties file for modified=yes, after database updates have occurred but before database shutdown (with data in the .log file).
Thanks for your reply, dacm. I have tried rebooting, and the datasource URLs seem to be fine. I'll try the quickstarter taskbar app on my windows machine, but the store computer, which is where it's actually being used, is a mac, so I'm not sure if there is an analogous process running. I have noticed after further investigation, however, that when I close base, and then open the force close menu, that openoffice.org is actually still running. I'm guessing this must be part of the cause, but I don't know if whether or not this has always been the case. Any ideas on how I could make sure the process is fully shutting down on Mac?

Thanks.

[Update] - On my windows machine, there is no quickstarter app running (that I can find). The .properties file is indicating an update (modified=yes). After closing openoffice base, I see no other OOo processes running. The data file still won't update, though. However, I can force it to update by opening the db so that the log file is created, force closing the software, reopening the software, connecting to the db again, THEN closing OOo. After doing these steps, the data file will update, but subsequent normal opening, updating the db, and closing will still not update until that workaround is repeated. I appreciate any help. Thank you.
lewishollow

Post by lewishollow »

If anyone has any other ideas about what might be happening here, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.