[Solved] Database won't open today

Discuss the database features
rgsccr

[Solved] Database won't open today

Post by rgsccr »

Hi,
After a couple of years of using openoffice primarily for my database, I found today that it would not open. Each time I try to open the existing database, I am told that I need a JRE (which I assume must have been present last week when I used the database). When I follow the instructions to go to tools, options, java the list shows sun microsystems 1.6.0_22. Not being at all tech savvy I don't know what to do next. I should add that I have done the update to the latest version of openoffice. Thanks. Rich
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.0 on windows 7
rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: Database won't open today

Post by rudolfo »

Maybe this other threads [Solved] Upgraded to AOO 3.4 - Java JRE not found any more or OO Ver 3.4 doesn't work with jre7 can give you some answers.

If you use the embedded database there is always some chance of data loss Avoiding data loss with built in HSQLDB. You issue might be a database specific problem and not a problem in general with Java. Hopefully (as you don't want to loose the work of the last 2 or 3 years) it is related with the JRE version. To figure this out you can check if the other Java features are working: The Filters that you can find in the menu Tools -> XML Filter Setttings ... do all depend on a working Java version. Select one of the export filters for the application you have currently open (Writer or Calc) and click on the [Test XSLTs..] button on the right side of the dialog to verify this.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

rgsccr wrote:When I follow the instructions to go to tools, options, java the list shows sun microsystems 1.6.0_22.
As rudolfo covers, simply select that version of Java (place a dot in its radio button) and shutdown OpenOffice. Then 'Show hidden icons' in the Windows 7 taskbar. Right-click the blue icon 'OpenOffice.org 3.4 Quickstarter' and select 'Exit Quickstarter' in order to make your Java selection permanent. Now restart Base.

Then, if you are running an 'embedded database' file, consider the following advice here:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 29#p220129
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
shfam

Post by shfam »

I am having the same problem. I cannot open the database. I have tried downloading JRE 1.6.0_33 and have it installed. I go to the tools options and try to select the folder with JRE in it but it says "The folder you selected does not contain a Java Runtime Environment." Is there a specific folder I have to select?
Thanks
Open Office 3.4.0
Windows Vista 64bit
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

Did you consider a 32bit Java version?
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Eremmel is right - it _must_ be a 32 bit version of Java.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rgsccr

Post by rgsccr »

Hi - thanks for the helpful replies. I uninstalled and then reinstalled a 32 bit version of the JRE - now in the java box under tools it shows oracle corp. 1.7.0.05 and there is a dot in the circle. I also tested the JRE as Rudolpho suggested and that works. But, the database still will not open and gives the same error message - that a JRE is not installed. Any ideas?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

At present, for full functionality, OpenOffice requires a 32 bit implementation of Java 1.6. Download from
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp
rgsccr

Post by rgsccr »

Rory - thanks so much - that worked. I think I know what caused all of this - last week I believe I got a notice to update Java, and, not knowing better (or, I should say. knowing anything), I installed it thus rendering my database non-functional. Just a couple of questions - should I avoid doing such updates in the future - at least without checking here what version of the JRE is supported? Second, I can't seem to find any easy way to copy my database in order to paste it into a word document (as a backup - it is really just a list of contacts). Is there something I am missing? Again, thanks.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Until Apache OpenOffice 4 (at least- I have no definite information), I would hold off on automatic Java updates. As far as I know, the Oracle Java update mechanism now automatically deletes existing Javas, so one would have to be careful that this didn't happen.

I can't help about the database backup - I don't do databases. Perhaps a database-using Volunteer could advise. I do know that Base is only a front end to a database, and the actual engine is shown in the Status bar at screen bottom. You will certainly need to know this in any event, to get best advise.
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typos.
rgsccr

Re: [Solved] Database won't open today

Post by rgsccr »

Thanks again.