[Solved] JRE doesn't work with Apache OO 3.4

Discuss the database features
Nocton
Volunteer

[Solved] JRE doesn't work with Apache OO 3.4

Post by Nocton »

I am running three databases in server mode. On one PC I have upgraded from OO 3.3 to the new Apache OO 3.4. OO appears to work OK, but the databases give connection errors which the error messages attribute to a missing or defective Some of the error messages I have had are shown in the attachment.
Untitled 2.odt
Java Error Messages
(25.65 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

I have checked that I still have a JRE - there are two Sun 1.60_22 and _24. I also updated to the latest version: Oracle 1.70_04. All give the same result.

Can anyone help, please?

Regards,
Nocton
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri May 18, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: JRE doesn't work with Apache OO 3.4

Post by RoryOF »

Openoffice does not work with Java 1.7; it requires a 32 bit Java and (from memory) is delivered with Java 1.6_26. Under /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org : Java
a path should be entered to a suitable Java implementation (if not autodetected - may take 30/60 seconds) and a check put against the particular implententation to be used. It may be necessary to restart OpenOffice (including Quickstarter) for this to work; I usually recommend a computer reboot to be on the safe side.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

Thank you RoryOF, but before I try yet another version/upgrade is there any reason to think that OO 3.4 won't work with the Java 1.6_24 that I have already tried, rather than the 1.6_26 you are suggesting?
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

I can run on win7 32bit, the server 1.8., and can connect to it with AOO 3.4.

AOO 3.4 works with java 1.7.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The issue is Java compatibilities. Java 7 lacks some calls which Java 6 has. Also Apache OpenOffice will look for Oracle Java 1.6.32.

Try getting your Java from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... #javasejdk

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Nocton wrote:I am running three databases in server mode.
What types of databases? HSQLDB? Did you add hsqldb.jar to the class path?

The combination of HSQLDB 2.2.8 + AOO|LibO3.5 + <any version of Java> on Win7(32) and Linux(32) works for me in cached mode and server mode (HSQLDB server running on Win2008-64).
One restriction: With AOO under Linux one should use Java 1.6.22 or lower because of a severe performance problem. This problem had been fixed for LibO3.5.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

Having become totally confused by all these replies and I decided that it was probably not specifically a Java problem but the 'link' between Java and HSQLDB required for the server mode. So I re-ran DACM's 'Quick Fix' and that has restored the connection to the data source. I can confirm that all versions of Java 1.6 that I have, up to 32 work OK, but 1.7 does not.

HOWEVER, the forms are all messed up. They look as before in design/edit mode, but not in run mode. I note that this has been commented on in an earlier post on AOO 3.4 http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... .4#p235266. I have used Villeroy's bit of code and that has done the trick. But since he says that this problem will be fixed in AOO 3.4.1, I shall wait until then before doing any further updates.

Regards,
Nocton
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] JRE doesn't work with Apache OO 3.4

Post by Villeroy »

There is nothing wrong with Java 1.6. which is still maintained. OOo 3.3 is a still a good version to work with.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
billyray

Post by billyray »

That's my thinking too. :) I need to see some real incentive to update beyond 3.3 since it works so well with Java 1.6u22 And since OO hardly ever does any work on Base (the only OO module I use) why bother? :mrgreen:
using:
Linux distro: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Lucid Lynx, OOo Base 3.3, connected to MySql database using Java jdbc (note: ONLY sun-java-6-1.6.0_22 jre works right), and converted from MS Access 2003.
billyray

Post by billyray »

RoryOF wrote:Openoffice does not work with Java 1.7; it requires a 32 bit Java and (from memory) is delivered with Java 1.6_26. Under /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org : Java
a path should be entered to a suitable Java implementation (if not autodetected - may take 30/60 seconds) and a check put against the particular implententation to be used. It may be necessary to restart OpenOffice (including Quickstarter) for this to work; I usually recommend a computer reboot to be on the safe side.
Are you suggesting that Java 1.7 does not come in a 32 bit version?

Anyway, OO can be very inconsistent about what it thinks is a JRE environment. Right now I have the 1.6u22 version being used with OO. HOWEVER, OO autodetects ONLY the 1.6u20 version, and it isn't selected. No amount of trying to "Add" the JRE environment satisfies OO, whether I try to add 1.7u4, or 1.6u22. Nevertheless, it IS actually using 1.6u22 because it is operating smoothly and efficiently. BTW, my system is set up for 1.7u4 JRE as the default, and has the plugin showing in Firefox. It's maddening to have to wrestle with OO and Java so much. As a further note: I did have jre 1.6u22 being autodetected by OO 3.3 earlier. But when I added the latest version of 1.7u4, it no longer autodetected correctly. So OO has some problems with Java too.
using:
Linux distro: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Lucid Lynx, OOo Base 3.3, connected to MySql database using Java jdbc (note: ONLY sun-java-6-1.6.0_22 jre works right), and converted from MS Access 2003.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OK, I did it.
1) Installed AOO3.4 and Java7(32) on Windows 2008(64). I used a 32 bit machine to download the 32 bit version.
No option to export XHTML

2) I ran the installer and added "support for legacy file formats" (old StarOffice files) example filters for XML formats which obviously included XHTML. Export fails due to a broken Java. Creation of new database works but breaks with no table.

3) Installed Java6(32) and everything works as expected.

Conclusion: Windows x64 requires no Java at all (nobody mentioned this here). If you are sure that you need any AOO3.4 feature that depends on Java on a Win64 system then you have to install Java1.6.0_32 (x32) from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... #javasejdk (thank you, PGAGA)

This is the source code of my exported XHTML:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html
  PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><!--This file was converted to xhtml by OpenOffice.org - see http://xml.openoffice.org/odf2xhtml for more info.--><head profile="http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/"><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8"/><title xml:lang="en-US">- no title specified</title><meta name="DCTERMS.title" content="" xml:lang="en-US"/><meta name="DCTERMS.language" content="en-US" scheme="DCTERMS.RFC4646"/><meta name="DCTERMS.source" content="http://xml.openoffice.org/odf2xhtml"/><meta name="DCTERMS.issued" content="2012-06-01T01:29:49.97" scheme="DCTERMS.W3CDTF"/><meta name="DCTERMS.modified" content="2012-06-01T01:31:46.94" scheme="DCTERMS.W3CDTF"/><meta name="DCTERMS.provenance" content="" xml:lang="en-US"/><meta name="DCTERMS.subject" content="," xml:lang="en-US"/><link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" hreflang="en"/><link rel="schema.DCTERMS" href="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" hreflang="en"/><link rel="schema.DCTYPE" href="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/" hreflang="en"/><link rel="schema.DCAM" href="http://purl.org/dc/dcam/" hreflang="en"/><style type="text/css">
	@page {  }
	table { border-collapse:collapse; border-spacing:0; empty-cells:show }
	td, th { vertical-align:top; font-size:12pt;}
	h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { clear:both }
	ol, ul { margin:0; padding:0;}
	li { list-style: none; margin:0; padding:0;}
	<!-- "li span.odfLiEnd" - IE 7 issue-->
	li span. { clear: both; line-height:0; width:0; height:0; margin:0; padding:0; }
	span.footnodeNumber { padding-right:1em; }
	span.annotation_style_by_filter { font-size:95%; font-family:Arial; background-color:#fff000;  margin:0; border:0; padding:0;  }
	* { margin:0;}
	.First_20_line_20_indent { font-size:12pt; margin-bottom:0cm; margin-top:0cm; font-family:Times New Roman; writing-mode:page; margin:100%; margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm; text-indent:0.499cm; }
	.Heading_20_1 { font-size:115%; margin-bottom:0.212cm; margin-top:0.423cm; font-family:Arial; writing-mode:page; font-weight:bold; }
	.Heading_20_2 { font-size:14pt; margin-bottom:0.212cm; margin-top:0.423cm; font-family:Arial; writing-mode:page; font-style:italic; font-weight:bold; }
	.Standard { font-size:12pt; font-family:Times New Roman; writing-mode:page; }
	.Text_20_body { font-size:12pt; font-family:Times New Roman; writing-mode:page; margin-top:0cm; margin-bottom:0.212cm; }
	<!-- ODF styles with no properties representable as CSS -->
	{ }
	</style></head><body dir="ltr" style="max-width:21.001cm;margin-top:2cm; margin-bottom:2cm; margin-left:2cm; margin-right:2cm; "><h1 class="Heading_20_1"><a id="a__Heading_1"><span/></a>Heading 1</h1><h2 class="Heading_20_2"><a id="a__Heading_2"><span/></a>Heading 2</h2><p class="First_20_line_20_indent">Text body indent</p><p class="Text_20_body">Text body</p><p class="Standard">Default</p><p class="Standard"> </p></body></html>
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Thursday, May 31, 2012
Villeroy wrote:Windows x64 requires no Java at all (nobody mentioned this here).
Win32 also does not require Java for many functions. The load requirement for Java is slowly being removed. But, Base and some extensions do require it and at this time need the software calls found in Java 6.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

PGAGA wrote:Thursday, May 31, 2012
Villeroy wrote:Windows x64 requires no Java at all (nobody mentioned this here).
Win32 also does not require Java for many functions. The load requirement for Java is slowly being removed. But, Base and some extensions do require it and at this time need the software calls found in Java 6.

Phil
Indeed, any derivative of OOo is programmed in C++ with small components written in Java.
Even Base remains useful without Java. We can connect to non-Java databases, add queries and forms, import data into stand-alone documents instead of reports.