[Solved] Can I use base simultaneously on a PC and a Mac?

Discuss the database features
francespace

[Solved] Can I use base simultaneously on a PC and a Mac?

Post by francespace »

Hi there

I need to set up a database which can be used remotely by 3 users - 2 PC users and one Mac user. My plan is to put the database on Dropbox so the three people can use it simultaneously. Will OpenOffice Base work for this?

Thanks
Frances
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
DACM
Volunteer

Re: Can I use base simultaneously on a pc and a mac?

Post by DACM »

Some folks have used Dropbox for this in the past, but it's not recommended. If you're absolutely sure that the data won't be changed simultaneously, it could work. Keep in mind that the "embedded database" configuration (single .odb file with 'embedded' database files) is prone to data corruption, so not recommended for productive use. Convert your 'embedded databases' to a 'split database' architecture for the proper reliability. Also, it's best to use a cloud-service that keeps multiple versions of your files automatically. Otherwise, you'll overwrite the good version with a corrupted version. Note that Dropbox no longer supports this 'versioning' feature when using a free account. But there's plenty of other options which do offer versioning to guard against general tragedies and file corruption.
Last edited by DACM on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
francespace

Re: Can I use base simultaneously on a pc and a mac?

Post by francespace »

Thank you that's really helpful.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
DACM
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can I use base simultaneously on a PC and a Mac

Post by DACM »

Perhaps check-out the experience of fellow forum member Nocton with Dropbox. He seems happy with the solution -- and you can run everything directly from your Dropbox folder.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria