Differences between LibreOffice base and OpenOffice.org Base

Discuss the database features
normansimonr

Differences between LibreOffice base and OpenOffice.org Base

Post by normansimonr »

Good morning. I wonder if someone of you can give me some information about the differences between Libreoffice base and Openoffice base. I used the search tool but I didn't find any result.

Thaks a lot.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu-Linux 9.04
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Differences between Libreoffice base and Openoffice base

Post by r4zoli »

If I know correctly in theory no difference, no Base developer working in LibO.

In practice the two version differs in bugs and bugfixes, mostly in forms, where the LibO or solves some bugs differently than in OOo, or uses OOo bugfixes later.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
normansimonr

Re: Differences between LibreOffice base and OpenOffice.org

Post by normansimonr »

Thanks. I've heard that LibO will move to SQLite from HSQL.... is it true?
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

wait and see

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

normansimonr wrote:I've heard that LibO will move to SQLite from HSQL.... is it true?
Perhaps.

See: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 13&t=40525
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
Bryan_W

Post by Bryan_W »

It could be me, but when using Ubuntu 10.10, some Form Designer toolbars in LibreOffice Base (Controls toolbar for one) did not work and I had to switch back to OpenOffice Base where they did work.
OpenOffice 3..2 on XP & Ubuntu 10.10
ugm6hr

Post by ugm6hr »

As with Bryan_W - I have found LibreOffice Base unable to use with a prior OO.org Base database file.
The forms will not allow searching from within the form, and entering new values seems to fail (I presume because some of the definitions of "memo" / "varchar" etc are different?)
Given it is supposed to be a continuation of the same application, I'm concerned my DB will be obsolete soon :(
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

It is not clear to me what kind of problems ugm6hr and Bryan_W do have but I have some problem with LibO 3.3.2.2. This problem I have are only in forms who are stored in the database for forms not stored in the database I have no problem.

The problem I have:
I cannot edit controls in a form document
I cannot show toolbars only the navigation toolbar (not a control).

This two problems are enough so I cannot work with the old databases and wait on LibO 3.4

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RPG wrote:Hello

It is not clear to me what kind of problems ugm6hr and Bryan_W do have but I have some problem with LibO 3.3.2.2. This problem I have are only in forms who are stored in the database for forms not stored in the database I have no problem.

The problem I have:
I cannot edit controls in a form document
I cannot show toolbars only the navigation toolbar (not a control).

This two problems are enough so I cannot work with the old databases and wait on LibO 3.4

Romke
I can edit and use all types of formcontrols using LibreOffice 3.3.2 with Ubuntu 10.4, Win XP and Win 7(32bit).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bryan_W

Post by Bryan_W »

Villeroy wrote: I can edit and use all types of formcontrols using LibreOffice 3.3.2 with Ubuntu 10.4, Win XP and Win 7(32bit).
Villeroy -
If you ever move to Ubuntu 10.10, I would be very interested to know if your Form Controls toolbar in LibreOffice is still functioning properly.

Bryan
OpenOffice 3..2 on XP & Ubuntu 10.10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Sorry, no. I stick with the long term editions. I hate system upgrades. And even if I would upgrade my system, I would not install the Ubuntu office. They never get it right. They managed to introduce all kinds of weird problems since OOo version 2.0.x
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
normansimonr

Post by normansimonr »

I had LibO 3.3 on an Ubuntu 9.04 and all was right, say, the form controls were fine and I was able to edit forms. However, i moved to a new computer (ubuntu 11.04) and problems began to appear. I think it is a problem of the installation (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 16&t=41807), but I'm not shure....

It is really difficult to use Base with no controls at all, though LibO is still wonderful.
exhipigeonist

Post by exhipigeonist »

I have a similar issue with a database file I made in OpenOffice.org. I'm running Linux Mint 11.04 and using LibreOffice 3.3.2 (OOO330m19 (Build:202) tag libreoffice-3.3.2.2, Ubuntu package 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu5).

I can't right click on an object in form edit mode and view 'Control' properties. Looks like the window tries to do something, but no pop-up appears. I also can't seem to get toolbars to show up.

Partly replying to confirm the issue and partly so I get notifications if anyone hears of a solution. I can edit the file on a 10.10 computer still running OpenOffice.org for now, but it'd be nice if my old files worked on my main, up to date computer, too =/

Has anyone determined whether this is a Ubuntu 11.04 or a LibreOffice issue?
LibreOffice 3.3.2
OOO330m19 (Build:202)
tag libreoffice-3.3.2.2, Ubuntu package 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu5
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

All I can tell is that my LibreOffice Base from libreoffice.org (3.3.3 and 3.4.1) seems to be identical with OOo3.3. I never install the distributor's stuff. Too often they do not get it right for the more advanced users.