[Solved] CASEWHEN and OR

Discuss the database features
Nocton
Volunteer

[Solved] CASEWHEN and OR

Post by Nocton »

I have a table with fields ConvenorID1 and ConvenorID2. When either has a value, I wish to use a query to create a new field Both containing the word 'Convenor'. I have made a new field in the query with the statement:
CASEWHEN( "ConvenorID1", 'Convenor', '' ) which works fine as does CASEWHEN( "ConvenorID2", 'Convenor', '' ) . However, I have not been able to extend it to have both conditions at once, i.e. the logical condition 'ConvenorID1 or ConvenorID2'. Thus the statement:
CASEWHEN( "ConvenorID1" OR "ConvenorID2" ), 'Convenor', '' ) gives an error, as do all variants I have tried including OR("ConvenorID1";"ConvenorID2")
What is the correct syntax please?

Regards

Nocton
Last edited by Nocton on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
RPG
Volunteer

Re: CASEWHEN and OR

Post by RPG »

Hello

You have a bug in the syntax
Nocton wrote:CASEWHEN( "ConvenorID1" OR "ConvenorID2" ), 'Convenor', '' )
I think use this

Code: Select all

CASEWHEN( "ConvenorID1" OR "ConvenorID2" , 'Convenor', '' )
Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

Sorry, that extra ) was a typo. Your version is the one I am using and it gives an error message:
"The column CASEWHEN( "ConvenorID1" OR "ConvenorID2" , 'Convenor', '' ) is unknown".
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think you give to little information for an answer.
What is the complete SQL. And what are the column names in your table.

You spelled the column name wrong as far I know now.

Romke
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

In fact I have solved my problem with the workaround:
CASEWHEN( CONCAT( "ConvenorID1", "ConvenorID2" ) > 0, 'Convenor', '' )

But I should still like to know why the OR statement does not work.

Regards,

Nocton
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

The OR is not working because the language is SQL and not C or Javascript or perl or python, ...
In SQL you need two expressions that both return a boolean value (true, false, well or null) on both sides of the OR operator. ConvenorID1 and ConvenorID2 are probably string type if you concatenate them, so they return CHAR or VARCHAR, but not Boolean.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

CASEWHEN( (NOT "ConvenorID1" IS NULL) OR (NOT "ConvenorID2" IS NULL) , 'Convenor', '' ) AS "Some Alias"
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

No, thank you, Villeroy. That does not work either. I already tried with IS NULL.
The fields are numerical/integers.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Indeed, it does not work with the Base interpreter. In direct mode it works as it should.
This is another variant that runs as documented in direct mode only (embedded HSQLDB 1.8):

select *,case when (NOT X IS NULL)OR(NOT Y IS NULL) then 'Yes' else 'No' end AS "Blah" FROM "Table1"
All those little helpers in Base are broken beyond repair. At least they do not get it right after 6 years.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

Thanks, again. It is good to know where the problem lies. I've marked it 'Solved'.
As I have got something that works, I'll stick with it. But it does make development frustrating!
RPG
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] CASEWHEN and OR

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think when you switch to native mode then you can work with OR.

When you work in the query designer then there is a button with SQL. When you click on this button you switch of OOo-mode to native mode or back.

The SQL button only activ when you are not in the GUI but only in the text mode .

Romke
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] CASEWHEN and OR

Post by Villeroy »

RPG wrote:Hello

I think when you switch to native mode then you can work with OR.

When you work in the query designer then there is a button with SQL. When you click on this button you switch of OOo-mode to native mode or back.

The SQL button only activ when you are not in the GUI but only in the text mode .

Romke
Direct SQL allows to file the request directly to the underlying database application (HSQLDB, MySQL, whatever). Base does not care about syntax nor features. The SQL may be very different from what the graphical SQL designer can interprete so it makes no sense to design these database specific SQL statements in graphical mode.
This way we can circumvent many of Base's bugs and restrictions. Unfortunately we never get editable row sets from direct SQL. Even the most simple SELECT * FROM "Table" returns a read-only set from an editable table when run in direct mode.