.wdb files

Discuss the database features
hawk318

.wdb files

Post by hawk318 »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? None
What Operating System (version) are you using? Vista
What is your question or comment? Have over 1400 DVD listings saved with "Works database"
Now Vista, nor Office will open the db files (.wdb)
I was wondering if Openoffice data base pens .wdb files and if it does.... Can I download the database separately rather then dowloading the entire open office???

Thanks much: Hawk
Hagar Delest

Re: .wdb files

Post by Hagar Delest »

OOo cannot open them directly IIRC. You've to export the database (either to a CSV format or I've heard about a dbaseIV format).

You can install Base only but you won't gain much HD space because each module is only 2 to 8 MB, the rest is made of common files. So better install the whole suite.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
hawk318

Post by hawk318 »

Ah... ok thanks, really need something that will handle these files in the same format.... Thanks again ;-)
James
Volunteer

Post by James »

I would think that the sooner you can move your db from Works to an OpenDocument format, that gives you a choice of vendor in future (so that you're not in this predicament again) the better. It's unlikely that you will find anything other than MS Works that will open .wdb files (please tell us if you do), so if you can find a computer with MS Works on and export into another format that might be the safest way of future-proofing your data.

Interestingly "Microsoft Works" features here: http://www.oxymoronlist.com/ ;)
James
www.8daysaweek.co.uk - A User-Focused OOo site.
Windows Easy Installation CDs & OOo on USB Keys, OOo for Mac OS X + Ubuntu CDs

Please read: Survival Guide for the forum
OOo 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.x + Windows XPP, Mac OS X
Dave

Post by Dave »

From Fileinfo.net:
Database created with the Microsoft Works database program; similar to an Access Database (.MDB file), but with more limitations; uses a proprietary data format that cannot be opened by MS Access.
If access won't do it, what will?

David.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

I know this thread is old but I wanted to post this info for anyone else in this same situation.

I found a Java applet that will do the conversion here.

I just ran it on my Linux system and it converted a .wdb file I was sent to an Excel spreadsheet without any problems. The .wdb file I was sent was simply in structure so I don't know about more "complex" .wdb files and this converter.

Hope that helps!

Peace...
greycello

Post by greycello »

Eeek. WDB files are a rare beast. On Windows, your only choice is to track down an old copy of MSWorks (I think the last version was 9). I've seen it for sale on Amazon. On the Mac, there is LawBox WDB Viewer Pro: http://www.lawbox.com/wdb-osx/. On Linux, I think the Java applet is the only choice. I haven't tried any of these products.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: live link disabled.
NeoOffice 2.2 with MacOS 10.9