[Issue] MS Office Formula compatibility

Discuss the formula editor
JAN02000

[Issue] MS Office Formula compatibility

Post by JAN02000 »

Okay, I'm using version 2.4 on Windows XP. I was experiencing the same issue with version 2.0 but I upgraded because I thought it might fix the bug.

I occasionally use the Insert -> Object -> Formula function within Writer to put a brief formula or equation in my documents. When I save my document in MS Office XP format and send it to my advisor, my equations look like gibberish.

I toggled the [L] and [S] switches under Tools -> Options -> LoadSave -> MS Office for both the MathType objects and the Word objects.
That did not seem to solve the problem at all.

Is it possible to save it in a format so that it will open correctly in MS Office? Alternatively, could I make the formula object a non-editable picture or something so that it will look right on a MS Office computer?

Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
acknak

Re: MS Office Formula compatibility

Post by acknak »

Export as PDF.

When you save an OOo document that contains a formula as .doc, the formula remains an OOo/OLE object. That means that you must have OOo on any computer where you want to edit the document. You should (I think) be able to display the document, as there are embedded preview images for the formula objects, but I don't know that there's any guarantee of that.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JAN02000

Post by JAN02000 »

I thought it was supposed to be saving it as a MathType object now since I checked that box under Options. MathType is what MS uses, I thought. :x :x

Ahh well, any other suggestions?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oops, I missed that little detail. So sorry.

Try a search--I know the MathType compatibility has come up a few times, but I don't clearly remember the conclusion.

My first recommendation is still the best: if appearance is important, use a PDF.
JAN02000

Post by JAN02000 »

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just PDF it ...
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

I could now test it on a pc with MS Office 2003, MathType and OOo 2.3.1 installed on Win XP Pro.

It's really weird! :?
  1. If I create a Math Object in Writer, save it as .doc having the [L] and [S] switches disabled and open it in MS Word, the formula is displayed incorrectly. Double-clicking it opens the formula in OOo Math, saving it again does not resolve the problem, the formula remains incorrect.
  2. If I do the same having the [L] and [S] switches enabled and open it in MS Word, the formula is also displayed incorrectly (only slight differences to the first case). Double-clicking it opens the formula in MathType, saving it there does resolve the problem, the formula is then correct.
    But of course this needs to be done for each individual formula.
So this seems to be quite buggy...
Also see this thread that deals with the conversion in the opposite direction (which doesn't work either).

I am not sure if this is changed in version 2.4, which I can't test at the moment.

Should we consider submitting an issue?

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

If you will provide a sample formula (or attach a .odt including a formula), I can test OOo 2.4 vs Office 2k3. I don't have MathType installed, so if that's an external requirement, then I can't test it.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

acknak wrote:If you will provide a sample formula (or attach a .odt including a formula), I can test OOo 2.4 vs Office 2k3.
Well, you could just create a .doc in writer (using both methods that I have described: with and without the [L] and [S] switches enabled) and include some formula like

Code: Select all

f(x)=sqrt left (int from 0 to infinity left [(sin x) over x right ] ^ 2 dx right)
acknak wrote:I don't have MathType installed, so if that's an external requirement, then I can't test it.
I think you don't need it to create the formula. It's important to test the behavior in MS Word, but that's what I'll do then. :)

BR, phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I'm with you now.

I see exactly the same results you described above.

It seems to be a known problem: Issue 53223: WW8: brackets lost when exporting Equation formulas.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

acknak wrote:Ok, I'm with you now.
All right! 8-)
acknak wrote:It seems to be a known problem: Issue 53223: WW8: brackets lost when exporting Equation formulas.
Yes, combined with Issue 50126 that is referenced in the issue you mention the problems seem all to be described.

I should have done an issue search earlier! :roll:

Best wishes,
phil
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

Is it possible to save it in a format so that it will open correctly in MS Office? Alternatively, could I make the formula object a non-editable picture or something so that it will look right on a MS Office computer?
You can copy the formula, and using past special replace it with a GDI metafile.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
juanmauricio

Post by juanmauricio »

i dont know if it is too late, but i found this and it works :D

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=