[Issue] Zoom doesnt do what it says on the tin

Discuss the drawing application
wideopeniris

[Issue] Zoom doesnt do what it says on the tin

Post by wideopeniris »

The zoom in function doesnt do as its description describes in the toolbar menu:

"Displays the slide at two times its current size."

The zoom out steps to twice the area visible. The zoom in is meant to step to half the visible area, but instead it gives you a zoom tool as the cursor for you to select the viewable area by dragging a rectangle. There seem to be no step in zoom function available.

From a users point of view this is not very good. I like to be able to step in and out of a drawing to change scale with only a keypress or single click. The zoom in should either be around the last point clicked on (i.e. the last operation) or around where the mouse currently is. The latter would be my preference. The former is the behaviour of Macdraw and its kin.

It seems to me that a zoom select and a zoom in function should be in the toolbar list of commands.

O/S: WinXP (work machine :( )
OOversion: 2.4.1

This is the only thing I have found about draw that is a serious issue. Otherwise I find it is a very competant draw package with good import export functions and an intuitive user interface. It knocks spots of Visio which is our mandated package at my company. I would be glad to ditch that in favour of OO Draw and will be persuading my colleagues of its merits (like maintaining grids when zooming !)

many thanks for the development team who brought this together and are offering it for free.

WOI
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
RGB

Re: Zoom doesnt do what it says on the tin

Post by RGB »

Not exactly the same but, what about Ctrl + Mouse wheel?
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have recorded some macros (for use in Writer) that zoom to 100%, 200%, 300%, 400%, 500%, and 600% and assigned them to Control 1-6. Zoom Page is Control 0, Zoom optimal is Control 7, and Zoom width is Control 8. These shortcuts are also useful in Draw. Zoom optimal will zoom to fit the selected objects. The Plus and Minus keys will zoom in and out centred on the current view.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

The zoom in function doesnt do as its description describes in the toolbar menu: ... There seem to be no step in zoom function available.
I believe this was changed sometime around OOo 2.0; the help text describes the old behavior.

There is a "step in" function: if you click and release the mouse in the drawing area when the "Zoom +" tool is active, you get a step zoom in. Unfortunately, it only works once and then you have to go back to the toolbar, so it's still not very useful. Ctrl+Mousewheel, or just type "+" or "-", are what I normally use.
It seems to me that a zoom select and a zoom in function should be in the toolbar list of commands.
This is the only thing I have found about draw that is a serious issue.
Interesting. I use Draw a lot, and I grind my teeth almost every minute of using it because of the many poor design choices like the zoom problems you mention.

The only constructive course is to report the problems and suggestions to the developers, which in this case, has already been done:
Issue 8851: fast zoom change, zoom behaviour
Issue 25863: Zoom In doesnt work on main toolbar
Issue 42820: incorrect behaviour of zoom in / out toolbar icon
Issue 44321: problems with zoom toolbar
Issue 90676: Zoom on cursor
All five issues at once

You can register there and add your vote (up to two per component) or comment.

Some of those are Impress bugs, but Impress and Draw share a lot of code, and problems tend to be addressed for both applications.

Unfortunately, if you look over those reports, none of them seem to be getting much attention.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23