File wrecked once edited with MS Office 2007

Discuss the presentation application
Cmiller

File wrecked once edited with MS Office 2007

Post by Cmiller »

This is the weirdest bug ever. I'm alright as far as help goes. I have a back-up copy. But what i want to know, is how the HELL did this happen. I made this copy originally at home, and then i was at the public library working on their computers with Microsoft Office 2007. I saved it, Came back home, and i found that my text went all wacko. Just check document and that'll explain a little more.

P.S. I politely ask a moderator to move this thread to the general discussion area. I don't need help with problem due to the fact i have a back-up copy, and that i know to be more careful next time. This is just something i wanted to share with community. Thanks :)

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Attachments
RELIC.odp
*Note: I deleted a picture due to file size
(98.85 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
OxygenOffice.org version 3.3 on a Windows 7 x64 based systems.
Microsoft 2010 Home & Student
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Have a great day! :)
FJCC

Re: Weirdest Bug Ever

Post by FJCC »

It seems the credit goes to MS Office 2007. I don't have much experience with saving in odp format from that software, but given that Excel strips the formulas out of ods documents, I'm not surprised their support of odp is not perfect.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

I'm thinking about just creating, editing, and saving my presentations on PowerPoint. Honestly, i don't use LibreOffice as much. I switched to Microsoft Office for these reasons. But i still use the Writer program for quick letters and stuff. I just wanted to try out imperss again. But look at where it got me lol. Anyways, what do you think, is it safe to use Microsoft and OOo at the same time? Or will i get crappy bugs like this all the time?
LibreOffice 3.6.2

FJCC

Post by FJCC »

If you port documents between MS Office and any other software, you will encounter some level of trouble. Your current example is among the more spectacular. Microsoft's strategy has been to use proprietary formats so that you have to use their software to be confident that your document can be handled correctly. The whole point of the Open Document Format (ODF) used by OpenOffice, LibreOffice and others is that it is an open format that can be supported by any software developer. You can change software without endangering your documents. When ISO adopted ODF as the standard format, Microsoft was forced to support it, but they do not appear to have worked very hard at it. It is against their interests to do so. If you want to use MS Office, the price you pay, in addition to actual money, is being locked in to one company. Many, many people do that, though perhaps not always with a full understanding of the choice. People on this forum have chosen to support software that is not as polished as MS Office, but it gives them the freedom to change software vendors.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is so typical. When OOo does not create perfect Microsoft documents OOo is blamed. Now Microsoft destroys an ODF document and OOo is blamed anyway although MS could have all the documentation and help resources for perfect ODF support. They do nothing for interoperability and still look better in the eyes of the believers.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Like sheep to the slaughter.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Re: File wrecked once edited with MS Office 2007

Post by Hagar Delest »

Moved to the Impress forum and changed the title.
This is a typical case of lack of interoperability. Should be made aware of any Impress user...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Cmiller

Re: File wrecked once edited with MS Office 2007

Post by Cmiller »

This could be the actual solution to the ODF format issue. LibreOffice has their program in a Portable app format. With it, you can install the program on a portable device (USB flashdrive, ipod, smartphone, ext...) instead of your computer's own C drive. This allow you to use LibreOffice anywhere you go. This include my local library, and school computers. I recommend to anyone who uses LibreOffice to GET THE PORTABLE APP. This will save you the hassle and stress of your files corrupting.

You can download it here ---> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable/
LibreOffice 3.6.2