Can't Insert mp4 Video into Impress

Discuss the presentation application
jdcaudle

Can't Insert mp4 Video into Impress

Post by jdcaudle »

I'm trying to insert a video file into a slide (.mp4). I get a "The format of the selected file is not supported." error message. This is OO 3.3.0 on Windows 7.

-I've tried this with multiple video files.
-The videos all play fine in multiple video players.
-The same video file inserted and played correctly in the same version of OO installed on my Windows XP laptop.

Suggestions? Clearly the problem is not the file. It is either with the OS (though videos behave well with other software) or with how OO interacts with the OS.

Thanks.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Can't Insert mp4 Video into Impress

Post by Villeroy »

Impress can not embed videos. They need to be linked.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I normally don't bother to put a video into an Impress slide. I call out from Impress to a dedicated video handler - it is a bit clunky, but as I want a good quality full screen video, I get it that way.
 Edit: I use a variant of
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... thout_Java

It means my presentations are not portable between machines, but I _always_ use my laptop to present. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MattyD79

Post by MattyD79 »

Insert it as an OLE object, I will play the media player within your slideshow. It is not the smoothest transition however atleast you can include your video in the presentation.
OpenOffice 3.0.1 on Windows XP Pro