[Solved] Customizing layouts for Handouts printing

Discuss the presentation application
ebneto

[Solved] Customizing layouts for Handouts printing

Post by ebneto »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.3.1
What Operating System (version) are you using? Windows XP Pro
What is your question or comment? How can I customize the layouts for Handouts printing ?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Impress - Customizing layouts for Handouts printing

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the community!

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide?

I suppose you refer to printing handout pages with Impress, right?

The possibilities to print handouts are unfortunately quite restricted in Impress.
Maybe you can check in the options of your printer driver if you can print several pages on one sheet.

Another workaround is to create a PDF from the presentation and to reformat it using free pdf tools like e.g. PDFill which allow to reformat to multiple pages.

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

The "Notes view" printing is very restricted in Impress. The handout view seems fairly flexible to me.

Choose Handout view (tabs at top of middle screen panel).
Choose "Layouts" in the right panel; choose one that has the number of slides you want per page.

You can move the slides around on the page in the center panel using the mouse. You can add text, lines, boxes, etc. using the Drawing tools at the bottom of the window.

Here's a sample that has a customized handout layout.
Attachments
Handouts_x4.odp
(11.23 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi again,

I admit acknak's hint is the better one. :oops:

I remember having used the handouts feature in some old OOo version where printing of the handout pages took ages (and creating handout PDF files blew them up) because the pages were printed as pure graphics, i.e. the text and vector graphics were converted to bitmaps.
This is not anymore the case in the newer versions, as I just tested, so the feature is really cool. 8-)
It even outperforms PowerPoint, where the options to change the handouts layout are not that manifold.

KR, phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
Nabukadnetsar

[Solved] Saving new handout layouts

Post by Nabukadnetsar »

Thanks for this guys, very useful indeed. Is there any way to save the new layout?

Cheers,
Last edited by Nabukadnetsar on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
00o 2.3 - Kubuntu 7.10
acknak

Post by acknak »

The layout is saved along with the presentation.

If you'd like to use the custom layout with other presentations, you can save the file as a template (File > Templates > Save), then use that to create new presentations (File > New > Templates and Documents).

If you set that template as the default template, then it will be used automatically whenever you create a new presentation.
Nabukadnetsar

Post by Nabukadnetsar »

Thanks acknak. A niggly little problem solved.

Cheers,
00o 2.3 - Kubuntu 7.10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Nabukadnetsar, in this case please add "[Solved]" at the beginning of your first post title (by using the edit button).

Thanks!
phil
vincent.keunen

Re: [Solved] Customizing layouts for Handouts printing

Post by vincent.keunen »

Great post. I can see how to "re-arrange" items, add new ones... But what about the "slide box" (the rectangle where the slide will appear) in the handouts page. It can be moved but not resized... Did I miss something? Thanks for any complement of information.

Vincent
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard + Linux, Windows
acknak

Re: [Solved] Customizing layouts for Handouts printing

Post by acknak »

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide?

We encourage everyone to try a search before posting. Entering "handout size" in the search box (upper right) located two relevant threads, including this one: [Solved] Printing multiple slides on one page (see the last message there).

It's ok if you tried a search and didn't find anything; it's just a good idea to at least try a search first.

Also note that OOo 3 (final release in a few days) now includes the popular "Powerpoint-style" handout layout, so you may not need to tweak the layout at all.