Impress printing unintentional cropping - OOo3.3

Discuss the presentation application
dokes

Impress printing unintentional cropping - OOo3.3

Post by dokes »

My install of Impress now unintentionally crops away content at the margins when printing. I want it in default to print ALL content visible on the slide, even that at the very edges.

The problem is new. I can't say exactly when it began. I have used several OpenOffice 3.3 betas. I have also installed the LibreOffice betas on the same computer (now uninstalled). I currently run OO 3.3. I first removed the old install and reinstalled but that didn't help. If I do file > print > click impress tab > set size to "fit to printable" then the problem decreases but does not go away completely. Besides, I find no way to set that option as default. I must select it each time I print.

Might there be some printer settings somewhere saved that an uninstall won't remove?
I have doublechecked that there is no printer problem. I can print just fine from Writer and from any other application without cropping.
I can do "export to pdf" without cropping problems. But going through that workaround is also problematic in my production use for various reasons, so not an option.

So, I'm asking for help with two things:
1. How can I completely fix the problem and get no cropping when printing, like before?
2. If it is a new built in bug, then can I in wait for a fix set "fit to printable" as default, to at least decrease the problem?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows XP
dokes

Re: Impress printing unintentional cropping - OOo3.3

Post by dokes »

I tried uninstalling again. Then I removed all open office folders under C:\program files . I also removed all the open office stuff in the application data folder. But I still have the problem.

Could anyone with Impress 3.3 final just please do a very quick and easy test: Create a blank presentation, add some text at the very top and very bottom of the first page and then try printing it. Is the text cropped?

I have also now tried the Libre Office Impress Portable 3.3. The problem is exactly the same. Is this a new bug then? How to I report it?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I tried a sample slide of page size screen (Impress default?) 21.0 x 28.0 cm. On it I entered a line of type across the top, with the edge of the type box aligned to the page top, ditto to the bottom, and told it to print. It printed on an A4 sheet (21.0 x 29.7cm) exactly registered to the height, but most of the type was missing due to the unprintable margins of the printer (about 6mm/0.25 in).

I then selected "Fit to Paper size" on the print screen and printed again. The image was reduced by about 5% but still aligned to the top of the page so that line was substantially missing. The bottom line was brought up and printed correctly. My instinct is that the reduced page should be centred on the paper, and that this is not happening. I think you might need to print at a slightly greater reduction, say about 10% and fiddle with placement until you get the top and bottom lines printing. The fault is in the print handler. Alternately make a PDF file and print from that using a PDF reader.
 Edit: I tried using a smaller page size, but that didn't work much better. The top of the slide is aligned to the top of the paper, so the edge text falls into the unprintable margin of the laser printer. I would prefer if the slide was always centred on the paper, or if its position could be dragged. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dokes

Ques

Post by dokes »

Thanks for testing. You have reproduced the exact result that I'm getting. Then it is likely is a bug. I have printed often from Impress earlier without this problem so it is new in 3.3. Not sure exactly when it was introduced though, I have used the betas but haven't printed much from them so haven't noticed this until now.

You wrote of printing with 10% reduction. I guess you mean similar to zoom setting for printing in pdf readers, etc. But I can't find any setting for that in Impress.
Exporting to pdf and then printing that works, but it is bothersome. I will try to file a bug report on this after some more troubleshooting.

For anyone else reading: I made two screenshots to illustrate the problem. Test page in Impress:

Output with "fit to page" set, notice cropping of top right text:
RoryOF

Re: Ques

Post by RoryOF »

dokes wrote:You wrote of printing with 10% reduction. I guess you mean similar to zoom setting for printing in pdf readers, etc. But I can't find any setting for that in Impress.
I had assumed that there would be a zoom type setting, but on looking for it I found there was none. Also, the alignment of the slide always to top of printer page should be remarked upon. It would be best if the slide were centred on the paper when being printed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dokes

Post by dokes »

Update: I downloaded OpenOffice 3.2 from portableapps.com and that printed the testpage just fine. So the problem began in some release after 3.2.