[Solved] No sound in pps files under Kubuntu 9.10

Discuss the presentation application
Ptihibou

[Solved] No sound in pps files under Kubuntu 9.10

Post by Ptihibou »

With OpenOffice 3.1.1 under Kubuntu 9.10 I have no sound when playing .pps files. Any advice on what to do will be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by Ptihibou on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Kubuntu 9.10
RoryOF

Re: No sound in pps files under Kubuntu 9.10

Post by RoryOF »

Do you have sound when playing such files outside of Impress? Sound is allegedly quite iffy under Ubuntu.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ptihibou

Post by Ptihibou »

I cannot test it on Windows as I got rid of Windows for good this time :D but sound is OK on other applications such as Skype, Kmplayer, Amarok, VLC, etc. A friend of mine told me that he had no problems with sound on pps files under OpenSuse 1.2 but Ubuntu, and Kubuntu is a different story.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I managed once to play some sounds but I had to install the JMF (Java Media Framework). NB: I use the Sun version, not sure if it is compatible with the Ubuntu one (to install the Sun version, see [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

Ptihibou wrote:I cannot test it on Windows as I got rid of Windows for good this time :D but sound is OK on other applications such as Skype, Kmplayer, Amarok, VLC, etc. A friend of mine told me that he had no problems with sound on pps files under OpenSuse 1.2 but Ubuntu, and Kubuntu is a different story.
As kubuntu's OOo is based on go-oo, it use gstreamer for multimedia but none of the other programs you mentioned use gstreamer so they do not represent a good test ;)
Try installing all gstreamer plugins (they have silly names like "good", "bad" and "ugly"... someone out there likes spaghetti western...)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Ptihibou

Post by Ptihibou »

I first tried to install the JMF Studio version 2.1.1e. I followed the instructions given in http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... _Framework. I was able to install it up to a point. When I tried to install the mp3 Javadecoder com.sun.media.codec.audio.mp3.JavaDecoder I could not add it and got the terminal outputs "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException". I nevertheless added the jmf.jar in the class path options of OpenOffice. The pps file did run with no sound.

I then followed the last advice and installed the various gstreamer plug ins and surprise, surprise, it works !! :D

Thanks a lot for your help, it made my day :bravo: