[Issue] How vertical line with horizontal text?

Discuss the presentation application
famo

[Issue] How vertical line with horizontal text?

Post by famo »

Hello,
I have drawn a vertical line and added text with double click. Now the text is vertical as well, but i need it horizontal, i.e. 90° rotated to right.
How can this be done?
TIA
famo
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
Hagar Delest

Re: How vertical line with horizontal text?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Create a text box with the T button in toolbar at bottom?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
famo

Post by famo »

Hagar de l'Est wrote: Create a text box with the T button in toolbar at bottom?
Yes, but no, this would only be a work-around.

Isn't it possible to rotate the text in objects?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Not sure since they're linked to the object when you double-click it. Can't you group a text box with the line once the position is correct?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Isn't it possible to rotate the text in objects?
Sorry, no.

The text is a label on the object, and they are rotated and moved together.

If you need separate settings, use separate objects. Group them together if you like.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Sensible Penguin

Post by Sensible Penguin »

Please may I pick up on the comment of acknak ("Sorry, no. The text is a label on the object, and they are rotated and moved together").

I'm trying to use OO Draw for flowcharting. To me it does not seem right to have a vertical line coming out of a decision box and for it to have a label that has to be read sideways. The workaround of a separate text box will give trouble on moving, resizing etc.

Is it possible to add a new type of arrow line to the Flowcharts shapes that is vertical with horizontal text when it is added to the drawing? Would this involve programming and compiling (rather hard for me) or (rather easier) adding to an XML or table?
acknak

Post by acknak »

You can always ask for it: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions Don't submit duplicate requests; see "PS" below.

However...
Is it possible to add a new type of arrow line to the Flowcharts shapes that is vertical with horizontal text when it is added to the drawing?
As far as I can see, this is what you get by default. The label for an object is always drawn parallel to the bottom edge of the drawing.

What am I missing here?

I agree, dealing with a separate text box is a big nuisance, and grouping/ungrouping to get the connections only makes it worse.

One possible workaround might be to just leave the labels at the default orientation as you're working on the drawing, then for the final version, change the labels you want to rotate into separate text boxes (that's very easy). At least then you only have to fiddle with them once.
 Edit: PS: 
Looks like this has already been requested: Issue 35752: Option to make line text in connectors parallel with the line
You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23