[Issue] Import from PowerPoint: textboxes are not textboxes!

Discuss the presentation application
ooooopen

[Issue] Import from PowerPoint: textboxes are not textboxes!

Post by ooooopen »

When imporing textboxes from PP, textboxes are not textboxes. I attached 3 slides:

1. A PowerPoint slide consisting of three textboxes: The first and second were "created" by selecting the pre-configured title-and-two-columns-of-text slide layout. The third textbox has been "created" by "insert -> textbox". All textboxes have the font type Arial.
Slide-created-from-scratch-in-PowerPoint_for-import-in-Impress.ppt
Slide created from scratch in PowerPoint for import in Impress (to verify the problem)
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
2. The same file, opened in Impress and having been saved in OpenOffice Impress format. Having been imported and saved in Impress format you will notice that the font style ist still Arial. However, you will notice two incorrect behavious:
(A) Problem one: the third textbox has turquoise "corners" and you cannot grab and move the textbox with the mourse. But: you can move it using the navigation buttons and you can edit the text. This problem only affects the third textbox that has additionally been added in PP.
(B) Problem two: if you save the file in Impress format and reopen it, you will notice that the font type of the third textbox has additionally changed to Times New Roman (with Problem A remaining).
Slide-imported-and-converted-from-PowerPoint-slide.odp
Slide imported and converted from PowerPoint slide (the problem textbox is number textbox 3: try to move it with the mouse)
(13.2 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
3. A third file for comparison: this file has been created from scratch in Impress. As you will notice that even after closing and reopening textbox three has green "corners" as the other two textboxes and the font type correctly remains Arial.
Slide-created-from-scratch-in-Impress_for-comparison.odp
Slide created from scratch in Impress (for comparison: it works fine with 3 textboxes)
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
We cou replicate the problem on all our team's PCs with OO installed (in all cases: Version/Plattform: OO 3.0.0, OOO300m9, Build:9358 on Windows XP Professinal.)

Does anyone has an idea why this problem occurs and how it can be solved (or should I post it as an issue)?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
Safway
Volunteer

Re: Imporing from PowerPoint: textboxes are not textboxes!

Post by Safway »

Regarding your Slide-created-from-scratch-in-PowerPoint_for-import-in-Impress.ppt file: Looking at the styles for the third textbox it looks like it has corrupted data. What version of Powerpoint did you use? If you used MS Office 2007 and then saved it in the older MS format, then no wonder as it doesn't follow any standard--not MS Office's older format faithfully nor even Microsoft's new ISO standard. All bets are off if this is the case.

Regarding your Slide-created-from-scratch-in-Impress_for-comparison.odp file: I can find nothing wrong with the third file as it displays just how the code (looking at the font attributes and line styles) tells it to display. Of course, I am using OO.o version 3.0. The green corners issue might just be your screen image (video driver maybe) not having updated. Do these go away when you minimize the Impress window and then maximize it again?
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
ooooopen

Re: Importing from PowerPoint: textboxes are not textboxes!

Post by ooooopen »

The PP slide <Slide-created-from-scratch-in-PowerPoint_for-import-in-Impress.ppt> has been created with Office Professional PowerPoint 2003 (3!), Servicepack 3. If you select the third textbox of this file you will notice the different background colour as compared to the other two two textboxes: this is "normal behaviour" of PP when adding textboxes additionaly to the textbox(es) that can be set by selecting the slide layout.

With regard to your second comment re <Slide-created-from-scratch-in-Impress_for-comparison.odp>, there is a misunderstanding: you are right that there is nothing wrong with this file as I attached it for comparison to the "buggy" <Slide-imported-and-converted-from-PowerPoint-slide.odp>. To make things clear, <Slide-imported-and-converted-from-PowerPoint-slide.odp> is the one having the problem with the non-moveable third textbox (with the turquoise "corners").

We tested the issue with several PCs with PP 2003 and every time the same problem occured.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Linux
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

Ahh, OK.

Yes, I can confirm that in the Slide-imported-and-converted-from-PowerPoint-slide.odp file one can not move the third text box using the mouse. Furthermore, when I right-click in the text of the third text box and select "Edit Style" I don't get any text style showing on the screen.

If you are going to post an issue, then the following screenshot might provide some good information to them. The XML raw data of the text boxes show the third text box really isn't a text box at all but a "draw:custom-shape"!
Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
ooooopen

Post by ooooopen »

Thank you Safway, I posted the problem as Issue 98393
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=98393.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Linux