Mail Merge automation of a single record DBF file

Discuss the word processor
deilenberger

Mail Merge automation of a single record DBF file

Post by deilenberger »

Folks,

I'm trying to move our organization from Word-97 to something a bit more modern... OpenOffice.

We have an in-house program that we use to create a mail-merge database in DBF format (the program actually does lots more - but this is what the question is about..)

It creates a single record DBF file in a standardized location on the users computer. It then opens word - with a form mail-merge letter (selected from within the in-house program) - that automatically merges the data from the single-record DBF file and allows the user to edit and/or print the form letter.

All of this happens automatically using MS Word-97 (and later versions.)

I can't figure out how to make this happen automatically (open the document and perform the merge) with Writer. I can open Writer, and I can open Writer with the selected document - but I can't figure out how to get Writer to automatically merge the single record into the document (something that is fairly trivial to do in Word..)

Any hints would be gratefully appreciated! :)

Don Eilenberger
Don Eilenberger
Bid-Service LLC
acknak

Re: Mail Merge automation of a single record DBF file

Post by acknak »

I think ultimately you need to ask this over in the Macros forum. As far as I know, there is no way to have Writer automatically merge the data, although you can ask Writer to print a file--I just don't know what happens if that file is a merge document. It could possibly go ahead and do the merge, or it could just use the old data.

Hmm, a quick test... looks like it uses the old data from the previous merge.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
deilenberger

Post by deilenberger »

Thanks..

I'll post it in Macros.. but wonder if a macro can run automatically when the document opens..

This is SO easy to do in Word.. :cry:
Don Eilenberger
Bid-Service LLC
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Yes, a macro can be assigned to the file-open event, so it runs when you open the document.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit