Using a DBF file as a data source

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
godfroid

Using a DBF file as a data source

Post by godfroid »

Hi,

I need to use (not modify) the data from a .dbf file in an OO Base database. It's something that I did a lot in Access to add new functions to old applications. The .dbf file was linked to my Access database and when data was added or modified by the old app in the .dbf file, the Access database reflected it.

How can I do that in OO Base. Is it possible at all?

Thanks and bye.

--
Pedro Godfroid
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Using a DBF file as a data source

Post by thomasjk »

The short answer is yes. Open Base and Click "Open an existing database file" radio button and then click Open. Navigate to the file and it should open. This article on Mail Merge talks about using .dbf files as the source. http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
godfroid

Post by godfroid »

> The short answer is yes. Open Base and Click "Open an existing database file" radio button and then click Open.
> Navigate to the file and it should open. This article on Mail Merge talks about using .dbf files as the source.
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org.

I've done that and it does not work. Base tries to open the dbf file as a text comma separated file. I've checked with the app maker and it seems that tha problem is that the dbf files are *not* straight dBase files but Visual Fox ones. Is there any workaround for that?

Thanks a lot for your answer and bye.

--
Pedro Godfroid
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

dBase is a databse in a directory having tables and indices for fast lookup in separate files. Thus you connect Base to a directory of files.
File>New>Database...
[X] COnnect to existing
Type: dBase ... -> specify directory ... save the Base document ...
The Base document is a container having some details about the source data (not the data) and you may add queries, forms and reports. Unfortunately OOo's dBase support does not include relations between tables.
've done that and it does not work. Base tries to open the dbf file as a text comma separated file.
Then it is a just that. Open in a text editor and see. If so you should open the file in a Calc-spreadsheet and save as dBase (*.dbf) in a dedicated directory.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice