Open dbase files in OPen Office

Discuss the database features
jfwb

Open dbase files in OPen Office

Post by jfwb »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using?2.3
What Operating System (version) are you using?Windows Xp Pro and Ubuntu Linux Gutsy
What is your question or comment? I am able to open a dbase table working under windows but not under Linux. Is there a reason for this?
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Open dbase files in OPen Office

Post by foxcole »

(Please always give the full 3-digit version number that you'll find in Help> About OpenOffice.org.)

Where did you get your version of OOo? If it's the Ubuntu distro, it's known to be buggy and unstable. Try replacing it with the full "official" version from the OpenOffice.org website.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See here: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

NB: moved the thread to the Base forum.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Well, Hagar moved this to the Base forum. But we do not even know if jfwb did try to import his dBase file into Base which used to work fine with my old Ubuntu version. More likely he opened the file as a spreadsheet.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You're right, sorry!

jfwb, thanks to precise what application you're using. If Calc, I'll move the thread to the Calc forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jfwb

Post by jfwb »

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I am running open Office 2.3.1 under windows and 2.3.0 under Ubuntu 7.1.
I am trying to open a dBase file with Open Office Base. This works fine under windows going through the New - Database - connect to existing - DBASE route.
Under Ubuntu, I can open a dBASE file using Calc but not using Base. Going through the route described above, the dBASE file names are "greyed" and I am unable to proceed any further.
I suppose it's not very important but I am trying to migrate from windows to Linux and keep hitting snags of this sort.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

One thing i've noticed under Ubuntu 7.1 ( actually I use kubuntu but ) is that the file names can not be upper case, actually it is just the .dbf that must not be upper case - a bug I suppose.

Second thing - the 2.3 version that comes with Ubunutu has a few added problems particularly with Base. Here also I am a little different cause I run mostly 64 bit Kubuntu, but do run 32 bit on one machine.

One thing is to switch to the SUN java runtime - this seems to help a good deal. The more radical approach is to dump the Ubuntu version of OpenOffice.org completely and switch to binaries form the OpenOffice.org web site. DEB packages are now available as part of the main distribution files so installing is very easy ( if you want to try this and need some help on the install let me know and I'll put up a quick run through )

Using the standard OpenOffice.org files under Kubuntu I have had no problems working with dBase, 32bit or 64bit. ( save for the upper case name issue of course)
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
jfwb

Post by jfwb »

I have tried to install Sun Java but with no success - I actually have a thread going in the Ubuntu forum on this.
I see that there is now an Open Office version 3.0. Perhaps I should do as you suggest - ditch my current OO and install v 3.0 but will I need to have Sun Java first?
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

NO - 3.0 is in the first couple of development builds...not even close to being ready for real work...

2.4 on the other hand was released today!
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Is OOo able to load the dBase table into Calc via File>Open...?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jfwb

Post by jfwb »

Villeroy wrote:Is OOo able to load the dBase table into Calc via File>Open...?
I right clicked the dbf file and accepted the option to open with Open Office Base - it then proceeded to open it in Calc! I have since also opened a dBase table in Calc via File > Open so that works too. It just won't do what I want altho it works under windows???