[Solved] Template not working for Win 7 right click>new

Using them, Making them, Finding them
bluepicture

[Solved] Template not working for Win 7 right click>new

Post by bluepicture »

Hello,

I made a new default template using this method as outlined in the help guide:

"First, open either an existing OpenOffice.org template and modify it, or open a new document and edit it as necessary to create the desired template.
You can define a document template for each OpenOffice.org module. The following describes how to proceed for text documents.
1.Save the document by choosing File - Templates - Save and saving the document in the My Templates category.
2.Choose File - Templates - Organise.
3.Double-click My Templates in the list on the left. You will see the user-defined templates in the user directory specified under Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Paths. Select the template you have just saved and open the context menu or open the sub-menu of the Commands button.
4.Choose Set As Default Template. The next time you open a new text document, the new document will be based on the new default template."

So now when I open OOW and go to File>New>Text Document, my new default template opens beautifully.

However, problem occurs when I right click>New>OpenDocument Text, my lovely new default template is does not appear. It makes me cry :cry: :cry: :cry: Instead, an ugly template takes its place. It is so ugly that I would like to kill it with fire.

I have found a work around for WinXP which is outlined here:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=40233

tl;dr:

"The template used by the OS when choosing "New document" from the desktops
context menu is a static file. Though the wish to have this synchronized with the default template used inside
office is valid this is not really an important issue.

Workaround:

Replace the OS template

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Templates\soffice.odt with the one you
want to be used."

Unfortunately that doesn't work for win7 because there is no such folder as 'documents and settings' in win 7. There is a dummy one but only as backward compatibility for other programs that used the "My Documents" folder structure.

I know the equivalent of C:\Documents and Settings\username\My documents in XP is:

C:\Users\username\Documents

in vista.

BUT I tried to go to this folder in Win7 and I can find no such file as 'soffice.odt'.

Alls I can find is a folder called:

Logfile.odt

But changing the settings to this does NOT change the template which loads when I right click.

Halp please!
Last edited by bluepicture on Thu May 27, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
openoffice.org 3.2.0 on windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Default Template not working for Windows 7 right click>n

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot answer the detail of your query, as I have little experience with templates and none with Win 7, but templates should have extension .ott
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: Default Template not working for Windows 7 right click>n

Post by Hagar Delest »

See bottom of that post (corner case 2).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
bluepicture

Re: [solved] Template not working for Win 7 right click>new

Post by bluepicture »

perfect! thank you :)
openoffice.org 3.2.0 on windows 7