[Solved] Unable to install 3.2.1 on Windows 7

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
billmeek

[Solved] Unable to install 3.2.1 on Windows 7

Post by billmeek »

Issue description :

I downloaded the current version of OpenOffice from the OpenOffice.org website. When running the 'OOo_3.2.1_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe' from the desktop, it unpacks the files and closes without displaying any error but does not run the installer. Running 'setup.exe' from the unpacked folder on the desktop displays the message that I need to close OpenOffice or the Quickstarter. No OpenOffice applications are running.

Resolution:

Move the 'OpenOffice.org 3.2 (en-US) Installation Files' folder from the desktop to another location. I created a 'c:\temp1' folder and put the install folder inside it. Then run the 'setup.exe'.

Hope this helps someone else,
Bill Meek
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows 7, Ubuntu, and OSX
codge

Re: Fix - Unable to install 3.2.1 on Windows 7

Post by codge »

I installed OO 3.1 on a new machine running Windows7 without any problem. Now trying to upgrade to 3.2.1 I am having the same problem but have been unable to move the installation files from the desktop to a new folder as suggested. I note that in the compatability menu for the new version there is no Windows7 option. Is this a problem?
Forgive my ignorance (silver surfer) but how did you do the move of the files. I have set up the new folder as suggested and seemed to be moving the files out of the desktop folder but they still seems to remain there. Have other people upgraded in Windows7 with no problem?

Codge :( :(
OpenOffice3.2 on Windows7
billmeek

Re: [Solved] Unable to install 3.2.1 on Windows 7

Post by billmeek »

Open Windows Explorer (WindowsKey+E), on the left hand side, click on 'Local Disk (C:)' under 'Computer', right click in a blank area in the right pane and select 'New' / 'Folder' from the popup menu and name it 'Temp1'. Leave the Explorer window open (move it out of the way if necessary) and right-click 'OpenOffice.org 3.2 (en-US) Installation Files' folder on the desktop and select 'Cut' from the popup menu. Go back to the Windows Explorer and double-click the Temp1 folder to go into it. In the right-hand pane, right click on a empty area and select 'Paste" from the popup menu.

You can also use drag and drop to move if the items are on the same drive, but it will copy if they are on different drives. Using the cut and paste method assures they will always be moved rather than copied. There are also the same shortcuts that you use in other Windows programs that work too. With the folder(s)/file(s) selected CTRL+X is the same as cut, CTRL+C is copy, and CRTL+V is paste.

Once it is moved, double-click on the on the 'OpenOffice.org 3.2 (en-US) Installation Files' folder to open it and then double-click the 'setup.exe' to run the install. Once the installation is complete, you can safely remove the Temp1 folder from the drive.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows 7, Ubuntu, and OSX
Snetzler

Post by Snetzler »

I have a similar issue except that the installation runs then asks me to shut down any open OO applications (there aren't any open - checked with task manager). I OK it, and it hangs. I tried moving the installation files off the desktop but no change. I also tried uninstalling OO 3.1 but get exactly the same hang during uninstall.

Help!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
brucer

Post by brucer »

Had same problem, was installing from admin account. Went to user account, turned off the openoffice autostart function (far right on the lower toolbar). No problem then.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7