[Solved] Adjusting scrollbar increments

Discuss the drawing application
scroller

[Solved] Adjusting scrollbar increments

Post by scroller »

Hello! I open existing photos with Draw, and I'd like to be able to adjust (reduce) the number of pixels that the pic moves left or right at each click of the left/right scroll arrows. If I could adjust the scrollbar itself in the same way, that would be great, but the arrows would be good enough.

Local "help" tells how to *add* a scrollbar to your project, but that doesn't seem to do anything for these existing photos that are already open and already have their own scrollbar. Searched FAQ here and searched this forum with keyword "scrollbar". Nothing.

The problem is most significant when the photo is small and has to be zoomed greatly, because then, the movement of the pic with each click of the arrows is also exaggerated greatly. A 400% zoom level makes fine control of centering the photo nearly impossible.

Thanks in advance for all help!
Last edited by scroller on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 portable on USB Flash on Windows XP, and OpenOffice 2.2.0 full on Windows XP
keme
Volunteer

Re: Adjusting scrollbar increments

Post by keme »

I don't know about scrolling, but you can have movement in smaller steps. On the Mac version you hold down the option (alt) key while pressing the arrow keys. It may be a different modifier key on Windows and/or Linux versions. Try it out.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Can't say specifically about the modifier key in Windows, but it may be the shift key. In Coreldraw the arrow keys move one increment, the Shift + Arrow keys move 10x that increment. Worth trying in OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
scroller

Post by scroller »

Thank you both for the replies. The arrow keys are a useful keyboard shortcut, because I'm usually on a laptop with a touchpad instead of a mouse.

However, neither Ctrl, Shift, Alt, Fn (function) or the Windows key, or Ctrl + Shift or Ctrl + Alt seems to modify the number of pixels shifted with each stroke of the arrow key.

I was hoping that perhaps the default value of the scrollbar arrows themselves could be changed.

If anyone knows how to do that, or what is the right modifier key or combination of keys, please advise. Is this not in the documentation somewhere?

Perhaps a project engineer could advise. If this feature doesn't exist, then I would suggest that it be added in future versions.

Again, thanks to those who took the time to reply. Cheers.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 portable on USB Flash on Windows XP, and OpenOffice 2.2.0 full on Windows XP
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

Verify if adjust some option in Menu/Tools/Options/Draw, could be helpful.
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
scroller

Post by scroller »

mriosv wrote:Verify if adjust some option in Menu/Tools/Options/Draw, could be helpful.
Gracias, but as that seemed the obvious first step, I had already looked. Did not see anything useful. Looked again just now, tried some things that weren't obvious, but nothing worked. If you have specific settings that you can use to reproduce the desired result, please specify exact settings and path to them. Thank you.
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

Hi,
Select your image.
Push the left Alt key, and strike one of the direction arrow keys.
This moves the image of 1/100mm for each strike. You cannot move less, it is the precision of OpenOffice.org.
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
scroller

Post by scroller »

B Marcelly wrote:Hi,
Select your image.
Push the left Alt key, and strike one of the direction arrow keys.
This moves the image of 1/100mm for each strike. You cannot move less, it is the precision of OpenOffice.org.
Hi,
"1/100mm"? Could that be a mistake? My screen is about 330mm wide, with 1280 pixels, so each pixel is about 1/4 mm. Surely It can't be possible to move less than one pixel?

The left Alt key seems to have no effect. A picture that is not zoomed seems to move about 1/8 inch or 3mm, and one that is zoomed moves about 1/2 inch or 12mm, with each strike of the arrow key, regardless of whether left Alt is used or not. Is this the default setting? Any way to change it?

Could it make a difference that this is a laptop? Laptop keyboards don't have all of the keys that desktops have, and perhaps some key functions are different?

I tried this on both OO 2.x and 3.x, on two different machines, both with Win XP.

I'm sorry to be so much trouble. Thank you for your help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On my laptop using Ubuntu 10.10 and OOo 3,3 RC6 the Arrow keys move selected item 0.1 cm at standard zoom and Shift + Arrow keys move 1.0 cm. Alt-Gr + Arrow keys 0.1 cm and Alt + Arrow keys 0.05 cm.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

Hi,
scroller wrote:"1/100mm"? Could that be a mistake? My screen is about 330mm wide, with 1280 pixels, so each pixel is about 1/4 mm. Surely It can't be possible to move less than one pixel?
I am referring to the position of the image in the slide : right-click on the selected image, choose "Position and Size" , see tab "Position and Size", Position X and Position Y.
These measurements are valid if the document has the default scale of 1:1 (see Tools > options > OpenOffice.org Draw > General).

The move increments are not related to the screen. The same slide can be displayed at zoom values 100%, 200%, 450%, and the same move of the image will result in a proportional move on the screen.

By the way, you can also specify exactly a position with the "Position and Size" context window, instead of the arrow keys.
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
scroller

Post by scroller »

scroller wrote:"1/100mm"? Could that be a mistake? My screen is about 330mm wide, with 1280 pixels, so each pixel is about 1/4 mm. Surely It can't be possible to move less than one pixel?
B Marcelly wrote:Hi,
I am referring to the position of the image in the slide : right-click on the selected image, choose "Position and Size" , see tab "Position and Size", Position X and Position Y.
Ah, thank you, B Marcelly. I was not aware of that context menu. I see now that yes, you can adjust to .01 mm. That is perfect. I'm sorry that I didn't understand your first post. Thank you very much for taking the time to come back and clarify.

@ RoryOF and B Marcelly:
My stupidity. :oops:
When told to "select" the picture, I just clicked the top (blue) bar, as one would do when working with multiple windows. The other windows are gray. When you click one, it turns blue. So that's what I did.

I finally figured out that what was meant was to place the pointer *inside* the picture and click, so that the pointer becomes the four-way arrow to modify the picture. Then left Alt + arrow does indeed make the tiny incremental changes. Sorry for my denseness.

FWIW, my US-localized keyboard doesn't have a Gr key, although I found out that most Windows can use Ctrl + Right Alt for this function. It is not important. Using left Alt + arrow keys, I can slide the picture horizontally or vertically in a continuous motion until properly placed.

Thank you both so much for your time and help. I will mark this topic as resolved.

Off-Topic @ RoryOF: My sympathy for your country's recent financial difficulties. I'm afraid that the US is headed in the same direction, unless it learns that you can't spend more than you take in, whether you are a person or a country. Good luck to you.