How to add a scroll bar to a text box in Impress?

Discuss the presentation application
heplesser

How to add a scroll bar to a text box in Impress?

Post by heplesser »

Hi!

I would like to go through some code examples in a presentation. The examples are too large to fit into a single slide. Therefore, I would like to add a scrollbar to the textbox with the code. Is this possible, with either Impress as it is or with some extension?

I am using OOO 3.0.1 under OSX 10.5.6.

Thanks for any advice,
heplesser
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Safway
Volunteer

Re: How to add a scroll bar to a text box in Impress?

Post by Safway »

If I understanding what you are asking, then there are at least two ways to do this. You didn't provide a lot of details, so I'll have to make some assumptions. :-)

I am assuming the textbox you are referring to is a form textbox. You inserted it into Impress using:
1. View | Toolbars | Form Controls
2. Clicking the textbox icon
3. Inserted the textbox into the slide
If this is the case, then
A. Enable the Form controls toolbar again (step one above)
B. Toggle the design mode back to ON by clicking the design mode button
C. Go back to your slide and right-click on the textbox
D. From the menu, select to Control the textbox. This brings up the text box properties
E. From the text box properties, click the General tab
F. From the General tab, enable the scrollbars you want

If you code is in an external file location and you chose to use a floating frame as your "text box", then
1. Select the floating frame (you might need to do this via the navigator)
2. Select properties
3. Enable scrollbars
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
heplesser

Post by heplesser »

Hi Safway,

thanks for your suggestions!

What I want to do is the following: During a presentation, I want to discuss a script. The script is 30 lines long, but only 15 lines fit onto the screen at the same time. So I would like to put the script into a text box with vertical scroll bar, so I can scroll through the script as I am discussing it.

I tried your suggestions, with mixed results.

- Using a form text box works fine in principle, but the text box shows only while I am editing the slide. It does not show when I am presenting the slide show in full screen mode :(. How can I make the form text box visible in full screen mode?

- The Floating Frame is worse. It behaves a bit stubborn while editing the slide, and when viewing the show in full screen mode, I only get to see a large "Object 1" logo showing an electric plug.

Any ideas?
heplesser
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

You are absolutely right. I assumed edit mode would act like presentation mode.

Anyone else with any ideas?
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
zippy1981

Post by zippy1981 »

Hey, has anyone figured out how to do this?
Justin Dearing
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7 / NeoOffice 3.02 with MacOS 10.5