[Solved] LibreOffice "Open With..."

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Oskar4U

[Solved] LibreOffice "Open With..."

Post by Oskar4U »

I'm using Windows11, I have an Excel file and have shortcuts of the same file in my Desktop and the Taskbar like File1 and File2. When I click either one it opens with LO however I would like to have File2 to open only with Excel.

In the File Explorer when I right click File2 there is the option "Open With" but in the taskbar this option is not available.

Is there a way to have File2 in the Taskbar to open with Excel?

Thank you
Last edited by robleyd on Sat May 04, 2024 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Nicolas
LibreOffice 7.5.4.2 in Windows11
Hagar Delest

Re: LibreOffice "Open With..."

Post by Hagar Delest »

This more an OS question rather than an AOO/LO one.
An internet search gave that and it worked for me on Windows 10 (tested with a .ods file to be opened with Excel):
Right-click on your desktop or in the folder where you want to create the shortcut.
Select "New" and then "Shortcut."
In the "Create Shortcut" window, click on "Browse" and navigate to the application you want to use to open the file. Select the application's executable file (e.g., .exe file).
After selecting the application, add a space after the file path and then type the full path of the file you want to open with the application. For example, "C:\Folder\file.txt."

Then pin that shortcut to your taskbar.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Oskar4U

Post by Oskar4U »

Thank you Hagar for your time, you are right it is a Windows question but...
I created the shortcut in my desktop and I wrote:
On the target box of the shortcut my file location with .xlsx extension
On the start box of the shortcut the Excel executable.
Then when I click the shortcut it opens in LO and not in Excel.
I remember when installing LO there is a window to set if you want to open Microsoft programs with LO and I selected yes for all. Can you please tell me how to access this window again?
Thank you
Nicolas
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You can do that via Windows - Setting default application by file type or:

It may be that if you go to the windows Control Panel in the Add Software (or however called) section that there may be an option to repair LO; I thin that may offer the option to change the file associations or:.

Alternatively, re-install LO and make your selections there.

There is always the option to search the web for solutions. Oft times it is quicker that waiting for a response on a forum or mailing list.
Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.3.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.3 by Eric Hameleers
---------------------
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Unexpected '{' on line 32
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I very recently got a new laptop running Windows 11. When I installed LibreOffice to it the installer did not offer to allow LibreOffice to handle Microsoft Office file-types. I had to set the associations manually through 'Windows Settings', 'Default Apps'.

I had the same sort of difficulty when installing a non-Microsoft video player of my own choice, had to set the file associations manually, whereas on Windows XP, 7 and 10 the associations were set by the video suite's own installer.

I think Microsoft is playing nasty games with users in Windows 11 and making it more and more difficult for users to easily install and use non-Microsoft applications. They want folks to use Microsoft's, mostly crappy, default applications for doing things. Windows 11 is a dog of a system in this respect, and in many other respects too. :(
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Oskar4U wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:12 am On the target box of the shortcut my file location with .xlsx extension
On the start box of the shortcut the Excel executable.
No. Read carefully: after the path to the .exe, add a space and the path to your document. It has to be in the same field.
It should look like:
"C:\Program\Microsoft\...\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\user\Documents\The file.xlsx"
And nothing in the target field of the shortcut.
Oskar4U

Post by Oskar4U »

Hagar Delest wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:11 pm No. Read carefully: after the path to the .exe, add a space and the path to your document. It has to be in the same field.
It should look like: "C:\Program\Microsoft\...\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\user\Documents\The file.xlsx"
And nothing in the target field of the shortcut.
Thanks again, I will give it a try tonight and post back,
However I will also try the file association mentioned here as last resort

Yes Windows11 is the worst of all and I am learning Linux to get rid of anything MS

My thanks to all
Nicolas
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What I understood is that you have 2 files but with the same extension. You want one to be opened with LO and the other with MS Excel, correct?
Because if they are of different types (say .ods for LO and .xlsx for MS Excel), then of course the obvious way is the file association.
Oskar4U

Post by Oskar4U »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, both files are identical except one is .ods and the other .xlsx.

Since it was mentiond here, I use file association and now when I click the Excel file it opens with Excel. Problem solved!

Many thanks to all
Nicolas